C4 Forums | Control4

Dead LDZ 101 needed for white color change?

nabbebx

All,

Am I correct that I will have to find myself a dead ldz101 to get a "color change kit"? I'm interested to change black for white. But the color change kit I just received does not fit.

Any other idea's, or broken dimmers in white around?

Thanks

Technically - you cannot change the color of the 101 model switches. However if you are a bit MacGyverish it can be done and I have done it. Basically you have to cut/shave the 4 outer mounting tabs from a new color plate. If you are buying a new color change kit get the switch kit instead of the dimmer kit. If you have dimmer color change kit you need to remove the air-gap and requires some superglue to re-attach the plastic piece underneath. Keep in mind this may void the UL certification but you will have the right color - just don't put your finger in the light socket when you change the light bulb - the purpose of the air-gap. It would also void warranty most likely but these model have long been out of warranty. I would also not do this if there is not a good mesh around the switch. I think the metal on the old 101 switch plate has to do with the antenna, and this may also reduce the range. Now the switch plate will not be snug fitting like the original but it will be held in place by the cover plate.

Benefit - you get the color you desire

Cons - you are modifying the switch from the original design - it will not be as perfect of a fit as the original and it may reduce its signal strength.

Disclaimer: don't be stupid and I am not responsible for your actions. Just because I did this and it works it may not work for you, it is your responsibility.

I did MacGyver myself indeed something with a switch kit. I reshaped the plastic prongs that attach the kit to the dimmer, and that holds it really well in place. The metal strips on the old switch plate has fortunately no electrical function, so no down sides on the dimmers function. And yes it does loose the airgap, but I do not tend to stick my fingers in light sockets anyway.

Thanks for the tips.

The metal strips *do* actually have an electrical function, they're for grounding planes, so that when you have a large charge on you, that charge gets dissipated to ground, instead of zapping the electronics of the dimmer.

RyanE

Archived