C4 Forums | Control4

How to choose a coordinator?

I installed my HC1000 last night. I set it as director and Zigbee server. I did not realize when I did this it also changed my coordinator. before you know it all my keypads and switches turned green. I did not mind so much that I had to re-identify everything but what I did not like and I do not know if it matters but if automatically chose my MC1 as the coordinator as oppose to the HC300 that is the coordinator now.

1. I can't seem to switch the coordinator back to the HC300. How to do that?2. Does it matter that it is the MC1 which is the slowest out of the 3 controllers. (HC1000,HC300 & MC1)

3. Is it important that the coordinator is in a centrally located area as oppose to the dungeon basement.

I use my controllers as ZAPs 1 for each floor I find it speeds things up. The HC1000 seem to take care of that though. thanks

That's what I figured since you said the 300 wasn't an option for coordinator. It's still tied to your old zserver so it can't be an option for the new one. You can find info on this in the C4 dealer knowledge base if you are a dealer.

That's what I figured since you said the 300 wasn't an option for coordinator. It's still tied to your old zserver so it can't be an option for the new one. You can find info on this in the C4 dealer knowledge base if you are a dealer.

Thanks Paul. Could someone advise me though in regards to the location of the coordinator.

Is it BETTER centralized or doesn't matter.

Is it BETTER to transfer to the HC300 or leave it in the MC1 being a slower processor. MC1 is only used for audio files and nothing else, well now the coordinator.

ty

I personally wouldnt have the coordinator on the Media Controller, if I had the option to put it on an HC300, but depending on if that 300 is running navigator and on 2.0 or not.

Thanks codeman,

The MC1 was only used for audio file storage right now, I was going to take it out when I added the HC1000 but now it became the coordinator

The HC300 will also be running navigator, I am in 1.82 right now but will be going to 2.0 soon.

The coordinator location does not matter- you have multiple ZAPs anyway.

What version software are you running? I don't know if you would notice much difference between the two controllers

Thanks homeintegration,

1.82 but will jump to 2.0 in a few months. Yes, I have ZAPs on each floor and I have re-meshed everything already anyway. Is just that I wasn't really planning to keep the MC1 in the project.

But as long as it is not slowing down the project I'll keep it. The contacts and IRs will be good for something down the road.

IF it is not SLOWING down the project and the LOCATION is OK, I'll keep the MC1. Tell me which services can I TURN OFF. It will ONLY be used for:

1. Audio file storage (would transfering these to the HC1000 make media selection/handling faster)

2. Announcement .wav files (was going to transfer these to the HC1000 in hopes to eliminate any delays)

3. Contacts & IRs (maybe)

4. and of course now the coordinator

I guess I can still transfer the Audio files to the HC1000, will that make a difference.

If I can turn off some services to speed things up that might be helpful.

Thank you

To clear up some information in this thread.

DO NOT put coordinator on your MC. HTCs and MCs should not be ZAP coordinators in any project.

Location of the coordinator DEFINITELY matters, make it as centralized as possible for better performance.

Thanks tgh,

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated. I'll move back the coordinator in a centrally located HC300. The only issue i see is that this HC300 will also run navigator.

Archived