C4 Forums | Control4

In-wall touchscreen - PoE issue

Neter66

This one is driving me nuts, and was wondering if I could get a couple of thoughts from the members here on the board...

I have 4 PoE touch screens deployed in the house. All are PoE. 1 of them, however, refuses to power up when connected inside a particular wall box in the basement.

Wiring is:

Wall box -> Patch Panel (30 feet away) -> 24 port PoE midspan Injector -> Cisco Switch

When panel is plugged into the wall box: nothing.

When panel is plugged into the PoE midspan: all is good.

Makes me think the wall box -> patch panel cable is faulty. But, putting a cable tester on the line, I get a perfect connection. Also, plugging in my laptop to the wall box gets me linked, and I'm on the network.

So, that tells me wires 1-3 and 2-6 are working. So, it's a faulty wire (4,5,7,8), except, when I plug in my Cisco VoiP phone (which is also powered via PoE) it works.

I know the in wall unit works, because it boots when plugged into the midspan directly. it works when plugged into any of the other 3 wall boxes.

I know PoE works, because the Cisco phone powers up.

I know network works, because my laptop links.

The only thing that doesn't work, is a PoE touch screen plugged into that particular wall box.

It's starting to drive me nuts.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

D.

It's possible that the power negotiation isn't getting through somehow. The touchscreen is a pretty high-power PoE device, the phone probably not as much.

I'd re-terminate both ends and try again.

The other possibility is that the particular touchscreen has a PoE issue.

RyanE

Archived