C4 Forums | Control4

Audio Matrix Switch-16

Paul_Quadriom

If you have let's say 4 sources and 16 stereo zones - you would want one.

So what about this "Don't" in the stickies:

DO NOT sell an amp without a matrix switch

...of course that's if you can get away with it. Any project I propose with an amp I also put in a matrix switch (and if I have to I'll low ball the price if they start to waffle). As dumb as it is the volume (gain) just isn't good with just an amp. (found out through the forums).

:rolleyes:

What does the switch have anything to do with volume?

If you have let's say 4 sources and 16 stereo zones - you would want one.

So what about this "Don't" in the stickies:

DO NOT sell an amp without a matrix switch

...of course that's if you can get away with it. Any project I propose with an amp I also put in a matrix switch (and if I have to I'll low ball the price if they start to waffle). As dumb as it is the volume (gain) just isn't good with just an amp. (found out through the forums).

:rolleyes:

I guess that can explain why I have to be at 100% volume with C4 amp

Paul_Quadriom wrote:

In regards to what the switch has to do with the amp volume. The switch probably has a preamp circuit. Basically any amp is going to take am input signal of some strength (i.e. the dB level) and increase that signal strength. If the original input signal is stronger than the amp will be a bit louder.

I like to think of the analogy of a PA system. If I have an amp and a microphone and the amp is set to the loudest volume level (it is set to 11 for those of you who have seen Spinal Tap). If I whisper into the microphone the sound level out of the amp will only be so loud. Now if I scream into the microphone at the top of my lungs the sound level will be much louder. The amp was set at the same maximum volume for both my whisper and my scream yet the output sound level of the scream was much louder than the whisper. The reason is that the input level when I scream is higher than when I whisper. For any given amp, a louder input level will result in a louder output level.

I believe that the volume curve was adjusted in the latest release, and you should not have to go to 100% on your amp outputs to get decent volume levels.

RyanE

Latest release of the hardware, or latest release that happens when we update using 1.3.2?

Archived