C4 Forums | Control4

Anyone have any experience with whole house surge suppression ?

I'm looking for recommendations and options on any steps I can take to guard against power co surges and effects of lightening.

We had a pretty severe electrical storm on Monday. Knocked out the battery power pack for FIOS (they're coming tomorrow), a switch powered by POE, a couple of baluns, two older C4 dimmers and two C4 switches (controlling ceiling fans), and last but not least, the LV valve relays (read no hot water).

This last piece was problematic as I replaced the ARGO unit with a TACO because hat was what was in stock - I'm now sorting through some C4 TStat power issues.

Thanks in advance.

I also have the Leviton units (I think 51100 series) I had them installed when we built 5 years ago. Even with them I have had some stuff knocked out. Mainly Tripplite UPS systems.

I have a question:

Do these units need to be replaced after a while? I assume the suppression weakens after numerous surges.

I also have the Leviton units (I think 51100 series) I had them installed when we built 5 years ago. Even with them I have had some stuff knocked out. Mainly Tripplite UPS systems.

I have a question:

Do these units need to be replaced after a while? I assume the suppression weakens after numerous surges.

Yes and no. MOVS will take-on surges until the go open (or closed and blow the fuse). I use MOV-based panels with hit counters. SADs, to my understanding, may not need replacement.

I'm looking for recommendations and options on any steps I can take to guard against power co surges and effects of lightening.

We had a pretty severe electrical storm on Monday. Knocked out the battery power pack for FIOS (they're coming tomorrow), a switch powered by POE, a couple of baluns, two older C4 dimmers and two C4 switches (controlling ceiling fans), and last but not least, the LV valve relays (read no hot water).

This last piece was problematic as I replaced the ARGO unit with a TACO because hat was what was in stock - I'm now sorting through some C4 TStat power issues.

Thanks in advance.

I placed a whole house surge supression on the house for a relatively small amount of money - I honestly don't remember the price - but it was not horribly expensive.

I have not had any issues even though neighbors have and even though I have a Honda generator that kicks on automatically when we lose power and we have several times since we moved in.

It is called Square D by Schneider Electric

www.schneider-electric.com

I have the SDSB1175R Series 2 model.

Direct link to my model:

http://surgelogic.com/home/products/externally-mounted/whole-house.html

Here is a listing of other models that they make for residential situations:

http://efinet.com/home/solutions/residential/

Here is a picture of the unit:

Thanks in advance.

I have surge protection on my meter from Duke energy and it works plus if anything gets damaged they pay $1000 up to 10 times but if I get hit by lighting ten times I am moving :D

I think the insurance is $2 a month...

Lighting hit in front of my neighbors house and I mean it was bad.

He lost everything... Garage door openers, tv's etc. My house was fine...

We had a pretty severe electrical storm on Monday. Knocked out the battery power pack for FIOS (they're coming tomorrow)' date=' a switch powered by POE, a couple of baluns, two older C4 dimmers and two C4 switches (controlling ceiling fans), and last but not least, the LV valve relays (read no hot water).

Thanks in advance.[/quote']

I have surge protection on my meter from Duke energy and it works plus if anything gets damaged they pay $1000 up to 10 times but if I get hit by lighting ten times I am moving :D

I think the insurance is $2 a month...

Lighting hit in front of my neighbors house and I mean it was bad.

He lost everything... Garage door openers, tv's etc. My house was fine...

That insurance is better than what my company does on my surge protector - they are 5 years and $50,000.00.

I can for an additional $10.00 a month purchase surge suppression INSURANCE from my electric company that covers I think$2,000.00 worth of no deductible insurance - but they have no hardware that they put on the system.

Archived