C4 Forums | Control4

help with programming nx8e security panel

Bud

I am having problems with programming with my GE nx8e security panel. I have it connected with the serial module into the HC800 and it appears to be working. I have the virtual keypad on the navigators with 2 way feedback. The zones are connected to contact sensors which work.

The problem I am having is with the home or away security settings. I am trying to use the away setting on the alarm to determine when no one is home. I want to have it turn off the lights, all the media, raise thermostats etc. The issue comes up in programming. Under the security panel I used "when security system has been armed to away" or "when the security system is armed to home" to trigger actions. So far when when I activate the alarm to either home or away the system picks it up as away. Now if we are home and arm the system to home the lights go off thermostats go to 80 and I field complaints about how much time and money I have spent on this thing.....

I suspect it may be in the security system itself, as I can't find much more settings in composer. I have also tried the homestate and awaystate variables and they seem to do the same thing. Anyone have any ideas or had a similar issue

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

I think the issue is that the protocol of the panel actually sends an *away* first, *then* a home if it's home.

The driver is just reflecting what the panel is doing, and as far as I know, there's no way to change this behavior of the panel / driver.

You can do a workaround, in your code to trigger actions on armed to home and armed to away, you can set a Control4 timer, for a few seconds, and then when it fires, check the current homestate and/or awaystate, because by that time, the panel has sent the correct one (home or away).

Sorry.

RyanE

Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. That sounds simple enough and explains why it does both actions. I will try triggering on armed to away and then add a delay prior to a check for homestate or awaystate and go from there. I'll give it a try this evening or over the weekend and let you know. Your support is much appreciated.

Ryan,

Thanks again. This worked fine so far. As I planned above I triggered on armed to away and then added a 5 sec delay and then checked for awaystate or homestate. Then I can do my planned program based on the variables.

I don't know if this kind of delay could be writen into the driver for the trigger action but that would likely solve it. Also if it ever does get updated this info would have been handy in the driver doc page.

Just ideas but it seems to be working fine with the workaround you suggested. Now I can start trying to figure out programming on the C4 t-stats.

Please remember that your volunteer assistance here is appreciated despite all of the negativity floating around at times.

Archived