C4 Forums | Control4

New build...

I'm soon to meet with the low voltage guy about wiring options. Is it better to hardwire and purchase an C4 I/O instead of multiple wireless relays. I'm also looking to do the following:

1. garage door automation for 1 door, two Cat5 wires should do for the rail mounts?

2. sprinkler system, currently they have it located in the garage but I requested it be placed in the basement near the low voltage panel.

3. HVAC -- 2 zones, should I conceal the thermostat (put in basement, main floor closet?) and use remote flush wall temp sensors? Should I do this for the upstairs zone as well?

4. HVAC -- they also have the Honeywell Redlink technology but that doesn't integrate with C4 so what is the point, looking to go with aprilaire for C4 integration. Outdoor temp sensors wired to aprilaire thermostat, maybe one, best placement for this outdoor temp?

5. It is $400 per 2 speaker in ceiling zone, better to just get the speaker prewire and purhcase my own speakers? Should I have a wall adjustable volume knob??

6. Request Cat6 instead of Cat5e to each room?

7. 3" conduit from attic to basement, also conduit from above fireplace down to basement put cable box, dvr, etc and use IR buds for a cleaner look.

8. Cat5e outside for 3-4 IP cameras

9. House also comes with TED, haven't done much research about this, anything to wire here.

10. Basement unfinished, so not worried about that yet.

9. Hardwire alarm on main floor to Concord 4 alarm system

10. Hardwire water senor contacts back to Concord 4 alarm (Refrigerator, laundry)

1. 1 at the rail for the sensor and 1 at the motor.

2. Run 1 or 2 cat5 to the sprinkler controller/solenoids depends on iif there is RS232 or if there are direct connections to the solenoids (you will need more wire if you have a lot of zones.)

3. The thermostats can be located by the furnace as it cuts down on the wall clutter.

4. I would locate the outdoor temperature sensor outside out of direct sunlight

5. If you are going Control4 just home run the wires to the amplifier. If you want a volume control, run a cat5 from the area you want to control volume to the central equipment location for a touchscreen or keypad. Certain speakers do indeed cost more but it really about what level of performance you want.

6. CAT6 for me is pretty much the new standard for networks. CAT5 has its bandwidth limitations.

7. Conduit is always good for future use.

8. Cat5 for cameras is fine

9. TED is fine as long as it is installeed properly. I have only installed egauge so I may be a bit fuzzy on the details of this one. I assume the energy monitor plugs into the network where ever it will be located.

10. Open basement is good

9. Concord needs a CAT5 run from the main alarm panel to an IOX or home controller for integration.

10. ok

Archived