C4 Forums | Control4

Setting up NAS

Hey everyone,

I need some help setting up my NAS. I currently have a server running Windows 2003 in my house with all of our music on it. The music is in a shared folder and any authenticated computer in the house can listen to music off of it. How can I set the MC to look at the shared folder as a NAS drive? This would be really helpful as it doesn't make sense to have music stored in two locations especially when you need to add a new album.

Thanks

This is easy. Just add Network File Storage to your project in the desired location, go to it's properties, and fill out the fields.

All you need to know is some basic info (UNC location, workgroup, username and password).

If your running windows 2003 server you should be able to fill out the info easily, unless you have a hacked copy and are completely clueless hehe.

No I've got it to connect to a workstation with windows XP, but I can't get it to connect to the server. I was thinking it might be because it wasn't a domain member, but that shouldn't affect that. I think there might be a firewall or something blocking the connection, maybe even DNS. I'm not sure, and I spent some time yesterday looking through all the security settings to see if something was block. If anything comes to mind that might stop it from connecting let me know.

No I've got it to connect to a workstation with windows XP, but I can't get it to connect to the server. I was thinking it might be because it wasn't a domain member, but that shouldn't affect that. I think there might be a firewall or something blocking the connection, maybe even DNS. I'm not sure, and I spent some time yesterday looking through all the security settings to see if something was block. If anything comes to mind that might stop it from connecting let me know.

It's not DNS unless your server is set as a DNS server too, and if it's a home install you shouldn't need that.

How long have you had the Windows 2003 Server up and running? Has it been fully configured and everything else can connect to it (workstations can connect to the share? (e.g. \\server1\public))?

Do you have your house set up w/ a domain or workgroup? Have you turned the firewall off on the server and/or allowed ports in?

If your not to concerned about security on your 2003 server, just go to control panel and add/remove windows components, and uninstall enchanced IE security...

Try these few things out and let me know.

Greg

It's set up as a domain server. And it is the primary domain server so it has to run DNS. Other workstations can join the domain and access the shared music folder. I dont know if the server 2003 firewall is even on because when I click to access I get a message that it can't be open. I'll RDP to it later and get the exact message. I think it may be a firewall problem, but I'm not sure how to disable it.

1) For workgroup are you enterring the domain name?

2) For the username try this: DOMAINNAME\ADMINUSERNAME and then your password in the password field.

3) If your other workstations can join, then it's not a firewall issue. The mesage you are getting for your firewall is probably 'Windows Firewall cannot run because the windows firewall/ics service is not running). It's not a bug, it's just not running because enchanced security is probably off, and that disables the firewall.

Do you have a lot of experience with windows 2003 and also experience with DNS servers?

I tried all of the above. I put the domain name as the workgroup. I tried the username as DOMAINNAME\USERNAME and USERNAME@domainname.com. None of this worked so I couldn't figure it out. Any other ideas? I'm ready to move the music to a different computer I can connect to.

I already set for EVERYONE to have full access under the Security tab and in the Share Permissions.

I'm sorry man, I have no idea what could be wrong. I tested this out really quick at my house and it works with no problem?

I'm out of ideas, only thing I can think of is are they on the same subnet? eg. 192.168.2.0/24 correct mask, etc? Maybe it's an IP problem. Hell maybe the MC's DNS setting is wrong??

No I still can't get it to connect. I checked the IPs and DNS settings and it still wouldnt connect. I tried making a new username and that didnt work. I even set the DNS settings of the MC to the Server and it wouldn't go. I'm guessing there's a firewall issue on the server or a blocked port, but can't figure out why. The windows firewall isn't turned on. The only thing I can think of is that DNS is stopping the connection?? Unless there's a security issue somewhere, any ideas? When I get some free time, I'm going to reformat a workstation with Server 2003 and see if I can get NAS to connect.

I just remember having a really hard time getting a lynksys router to allow the MC to connect to my NAS, as soon as I switched to a buffalo it connected with no problems and has ever since.

You might just try a different router if you have one available to to eliminate that

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm having a similar issue. I've been using a Buffalo Terastation NAS device but I moved my MP3s to my Windows 2008 Server (also a domain controller due to home office usage and I'm a geek). I've disabled SMB signing on the server which is what was necessary to get my Mac connected to the server. However, when I try to attach the C4 to it, it cannot connect to server. I've tried all combinations of usernames (username, domain\username, username@domainname.com) and trying different combinations of cases (lower, upper, first letter capital). I'm assuming it is some sort of policy on the Windows Server precluding the connection. The share is set to allow but domain users and everyone full control (share and file level permissions).

Anybody else run into this and get it successfully resolved? I needed better performance for network reasons than what the NAS device was providing so I would really like to use my server.

In terms of network gear, the entire network utilizes gigabit managed switches and the C4 network is physically and logically segmented from the rest of my network, other than a multi-nic server that provides the music to both networks. I have tried connecting to the Windows Server shares from the C4 network and I can do so successfully from the C4 network so it doesn't appear to be a network issue.

The C4 and non-C4 networks are subnetted into two different class C ranges with the C4 using NAT through a 3Com switch into the main network. Both networks are using That said, tweaked a bunch of default Windows Server policy servings and managed to get the connection going. Much better now.

Archived