C4 Forums | Control4

User question on indicator lights

I'm a new user and am wondering if what I have going on is a necessary tradeoff or if there's a programming fix. On keypads in my house there are some buttons for scenes, some for single lights. Programmers used "intuitive" programming (Control4's name?). One push = on; 2nd single push = off. Indicator lights are set to be green if room lights are on, black if room lights are off. Here's a scenario -

I push the button for "Kitchen" scene and the room lights & indicator light come on as they should (indicator is set to be black if room lights are off)

I push "All off" button & all room lights go out as they should, indicator lights for individual room lights go off as they should BUT indicator light for "Kitchen" scene stays lit as though the room lights are on.

If I then push the "Kitchen" button (room lights are off but indicator light is on), the room lights stay off & indicator light goes off (so now all is at is should be with the indicator showing the true state of things)

Then I can push "Kitchen" a 2nd time and the room & indicator lights will come on.

Is there a way to make the indicator lights for scenes be more indicative of what's really happening? It isn't such a big deal when the lights I'm controlling are in the same room with the pad but it can be troublesome when they are not.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

I'm a new user and am wondering if what I have going on is a necessary tradeoff or if there's a programming fix. On keypads in my house there are some buttons for scenes, some for single lights. Programmers used "intuitive" programming (Control4's name?). One push = on; 2nd single push = off. Indicator lights are set to be green if room lights are on, black if room lights are off. Here's a scenario -

I push the button for "Kitchen" scene and the room lights & indicator light come on as they should (indicator is set to be black if room lights are off)

I push "All off" button & all room lights go out as they should, indicator lights for individual room lights go off as they should BUT indicator light for "Kitchen" scene stays lit as though the room lights are on.

If I then push the "Kitchen" button (room lights are off but indicator light is on), the room lights stay off & indicator light goes off (so now all is at is should be with the indicator showing the true state of things)

Then I can push "Kitchen" a 2nd time and the room & indicator lights will come on.

Is there a way to make the indicator lights for scenes be more indicative of what's really happening? It isn't such a big deal when the lights I'm controlling are in the same room with the pad but it can be troublesome when they are not.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

There are several types of buttons or switches and I think that it would be helpful if we knew what ones you are talking about -

1. a wired switch that actually carries the load

2. a toggle switch that simply is a two button switch

3. a three button switch

4. a 6 button switch.

That being said - assuming a two button switch - you can have 1 or 2 or 3 up and 1 or 2 or 3 down and each can do a "group" of things.

The light will be fine on THAT switch - but it sounds like you have others that also control the same lights. You simply need to (I think) have those other switches "follow" the light - meaning that when you make a change on one the others follow.

This is happening on 3 & 6 button pads. Most of the actual switches carrying the load are in closets. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

If I understand your suggestion to have the scene button "follow" one of the individual lights, I imagine we could choose a room light we aren't likely to use without the whole scene being on? Otherwise, the problem would still happen when we turn that individual light on/off independent of the scene. That would make the issue happen less often, though.

This is happening on 3 & 6 button pads. Most of the actual switches carrying the load are in closets. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

If I understand your suggestion to have the scene button "follow" one of the individual lights, I imagine we could choose a room light we aren't likely to use without the whole scene being on? Otherwise, the problem would still happen when we turn that individual light on/off independent of the scene. That would make the issue happen less often, though.

OK - work with me here -

I think that you are saying that you have (pulling numbers out of a hat here) 6 lights with switches in a closet. And you can and DO turn them on manually using those switches. Now - you have a 3 or 6 button that you want to control SCENES, and that may have 1 or more of the 6 switches included in that scene?

What you are saying is "if one of the lights in the 6 is on either manually or through the 3 or 6 button then you want the lights all to be a certain color."

Is this right so far?

If so you are going to need a NASTY bunch of code - changing these lights is a BUGGER for me - I have PAGES of code dedicated to turning the lights on or off depending if my wife is sleeping or not. (She cannot sleep with lights on and we have 30 switches in our bedroom).

I would have a variable that is set and checked when any of the 6 lights is turned on the variable goes positive and when they are all off it goes negative.

Then - simply have code that says:

When the variable changes -

If the variable is POSITIVE do this color on all the lights switches

If the variable is negative then do this color on all the light switches.

Let me know if I am even close to what you are asking for? Does this help?

Bill

That's not what I'm getting at all...

He uses the keypad to control everything. He has a button that controls the kitchens scene, both on and off. He also has a button that is "All Off". If he hits the button to turn on the kitchens but then uses the "All Off" button the kitchen button does not update.

Is this correct OP? We need to get this straight first...

He uses the keypad to control everything. He has a button that controls the kitchens scene, both on and off. He also has a button that is "All Off". If he hits the button to turn on the kitchens but then uses the "All Off" button the kitchen button does not update.

Is this correct OP? We need to get this straight first...

^ THIS is it.

Other answers:

* Sorry, I don't know what composer is being used. I'm not programming myself.

* For the same reason, can't copy the code here but I could have the programmer do that.

* 30 switches in a bedroom? Did I say that? Nothing like that here!

Thanks very much for your help.

(and for the record, I'm a "she")

TexasBill --- 30 switches in your bedroom?! That's more then I have in 5000 sqft home.

My house is 5400 square feet.

I want to be able to easily control lots of things - so I have a lot of two button switches. We do not have all of them "enabled yet". We want to see what we need to control first.

For example:

1. when you tap it on it overrides the motion detectors on the loggia so that the lights will not come on after dark so that you can use the hot tub. It turns on the hot tub and sets the temperature. When the temperature is reached the house announces that it is 100 plus degrees.

Turning OFF this switch turns the motion sensor lights back so that they will respond and shuts off the hot tub. That is ONE light switch.

2. another one turns on music to a desired station - 1 up is easy listening - 2 up is rock - 3 up is talk radio that my wife likes

DOWN turns off the internet radio

That is a second switch

3. our ceiling has two levels of rope lights, down lights washing a couple of walls and another set that washes paintings, another set controls lights over the head of the bed and another switch controls some LED lights in a book case - that is another 6 switches.

4. another controls the lights on the loggia

5. another controls the french door blinds that open or close

6. another controls the three sets of blinds that can go up or down in the bedroom - 1 touch up for the first blinds - 2 touches up for the second etc. 1. down to close etc.

7. another arms the house and turns off all the settings that I want turned off automatically

8. another controls the lake side spots and another controls the back side spots (they have to be separate because these spots control about 3000 watts each - the actual switch is in the attic and these control it remotely.

As I said - we have a bunch that are still unassigned.

He uses the keypad to control everything. He has a button that controls the kitchens scene' date=' both on and off. He also has a button that is "All Off". If he hits the button to turn on the kitchens but then uses the "All Off" button the kitchen button does not update.

Is this correct OP? We need to get this straight first...[/quote']

^ THIS is it.

Other answers:

* Sorry, I don't know what composer is being used. I'm not programming myself.

* For the same reason, can't copy the code here but I could have the programmer do that.

* 30 switches in a bedroom? Did I say that? Nothing like that here!

Thanks very much for your help.

(and for the record, I'm a "she")

OOPS - grin - sorry bout that!

OK - now that I know more and others do perhaps we can solve your issue (the 30 switches in the bedroom was my post and they were responding to me <grin>).

I believe that the other poster is correct - your system simply does not know the "state" of your lights and cannot update your color correctly because of that - You MIGHT need to have a "state" variable - but if you COULD post what your code currently is, I am sure that someone could give you the correct way to solve this in YOUR situation.

Bill

Archived