C4 Forums | Control4

No navigator

Hi guys. Was tidying up the cupboard where my HC300 and all of the AV gear is installed. Disconnected everything so I could tidy all of the wires properly and then put it all back together. Problem is that when I push the '4' button on my sr-250 it doesn't bring up the onscreen navigator. The watch and listen buttons wont change device either.

I've rebooted the 300 several times and even tried to install a slightly older backup of director, but still nothing. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Similar issue with my HC-300 controller... when I push the "4"' button on my SR-250 remote it doesn't bring up the onscreen navigator. The watch and listen buttons function fine. I've checked all connections and all are fine. This has happened before (about a year ago) and I had to call out the service technician from the dealer ($100). Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks.

If your TV IS switching, select the on-screen, then powercycle the controller set to do the OSD. If your connections/switching are correct, you should see a start-up screen go by. If you don't it's going to be cables/connections - unless you are the first ever that I've heard about with a failed graph card (but the rest is working).

If you DO see the start-up screen, it's possible the navigator - somehow - got turned off on the controller - ComposerPro or SSH connection would be required to activate. Another option is that something became corrupted in an update or restore on the controller.

Thanks Cyknight and Godzilla but still no c4 navigator (on screen display) when I power up - just 110 inches of blank blue screen. When I start my system (press the "4" button on my SR-250 remote), the only component that powers up is my Sony projector. My satellite box, Sony BD player, and Integra receiver/amp do not energize. I can turn them on manually but they used to power up when I pressed the "4" button. Using the SR-250 remote ("Watch" button), I can individually power up the satellite box and the BD player but when I select either of them to watch on screen using the remote, it does not switch (I assume this is what you mean by TV switching? The only switching is performed manually using the buttons on the front of the HT receiver). However, the receiver/amp has to be turned on manually. When I press the "room off" button on the remote, the only component that powers down is the projector. All other components have to be turned off manually.

Another symptom: I have an older HC-300 without the reset button on the back panel. When I power up, only the "power" and "link" lights on the front panel are illuminated (blue), but not the "data" light. Back when everything was functioning properly, I believe the "data" light used to be lit as well. In addition, on the back panel of the HC-300, the green and yellow lights on the ethernet port are not lit (even though the ethernet cable is plugged in). I assume this means I am getting no data transferred between my LinkSys router and the HC-300? All ethernet cables on the router are connected properly and the "internet" light on the front of the router is lit. However, the wireless light is not lit. I've reset the router but nothing changed.

Also, what is a matrix switch and where is it located (Kelzor mentioned this switch above)?

Any other suggestions? If not, I'll guess I'll have to spend another C-note on the dealer tech.?

Cyknight - since you are a dealer, is the ComposerPro software (or the consumer version of Composer) available for purchase? How much are they?

Thanks again for your assistance - it's greatly appreciated!

Thanks Cyknight and Godzilla but still no c4 navigator (on screen display) when I power up - just 110 inches of blank blue screen. When I start my system (press the "4" button on my SR-250 remote), the only component that powers up is my Sony projector. My satellite box, Sony BD player, and Integra receiver/amp do not energize. I can turn them on manually but they used to power up when I pressed the "4" button. Using the SR-250 remote ("Watch" button), I can individually power up the satellite box and the BD player but when I select either of them to watch on screen using the remote, it does not switch (I assume this is what you mean by TV switching? The only switching is performed manually using the buttons on the front of the HT receiver). However, the receiver/amp has to be turned on manually. When I press the "room off" button on the remote, the only component that powers down is the projector. All other components have to be turned off manually.

This whole piece makes me think a lot more is wrong. Do note that pressing the 4 button should not be powering up anything but the projector and maybe the receiver (if video is running through there) - unless it's specifically programmed to do so for some reason I can't fathom. But devices should come on and or switch to proper inputs (projector and or receiver for switching), and everything should turn off on a room off press. With the exeption of game-consoles or something like a computer (and even then...) you should never have to manipulate anything by hand to watch what you want. The whole point og automation being you DON'T need to do those things.

Another symptom: I have an older HC-300 without the reset button on the back panel. When I power up, only the "power" and "link" lights on the front panel are illuminated (blue), but not the "data" light. Back when everything was functioning properly, I believe the "data" light used to be lit as well. In addition, on the back panel of the HC-300, the green and yellow lights on the ethernet port are not lit (even though the ethernet cable is plugged in). I assume this means I am getting no data transferred between my LinkSys router and the HC-300? All ethernet cables on the router are connected properly and the "internet" light on the front of the router is lit. However, the wireless light is not lit. I've reset the router but nothing changed.

Data should not come on - Power and Link is normal, Data is only on when streaming audio or certain other procedures. No lights on the ethernet isnt normal though - the Wifi not on at the router makes me thing something's wrong there. I wonder if the 300 is the system's main controller and the network is down, this could potentially explain all the above anomalies.

Any other C4 gear in the system (controllers, amplifiers)?

Also, what is a matrix switch and where is it located (Kelzor mentioned this switch above)?

Any other suggestions? If not, I'll guess I'll have to spend another C-note on the dealer tech.?

Cyknight - since you are a dealer, is the ComposerPro software (or the consumer version of Composer) available for purchase? How much are they?

Thanks again for your assistance - it's greatly appreciated!

With Matrix he'll mean whatever video matrix switch he has - not releveant for your situation as far as I can tell.

The one thing I could suggest based on all the above is seeing if you can change the router, but I can't say IF or WHAT settings on the replacement would need to be set, as this depends on whoever set the original. If you have a control4 matrix or amplifier you can get the network range from their front panel, that's the most likely issue you'd encounter, but if setting up networks isn't your thing I'm loath to suggest you go ahead and tinker around - specifically because it may end up costing you more to get it fixed if it messes things up further.

ComposerPro is dealer only I'm afraid. There is a paid for consumer version called ComposerHE but this is limited to the programming section (and media management) and is intended for "special" programming - it won't allow such things as adding equipment or identifying replacement hardware. Not sure on the price - the sales guys deal with that - but I'm sure many here have bought it and can tell you their cost.

Cyknight - Thanks for spending so much time answering my questions/concerns - you're awesome. This entire system is for a single room only - a home theater room. The HC-300 controller and the SR-250 remote are the only Control4 equipment I have.

I reset the router (LinkSys WRT300N) per the recommended procedure: I pressed the red reset button on the back of the unit for 10 seconds, then unplugged the power for 10 seconds (still pressing the reset button) and then plugged the power back in (still pressing the reset button for 10 more seconds) for a total of 30 consecutive seconds. After this procedure, I expected the router to boot back up slowly and progressively light up the front indicator lights and eventually show internet, etc. However, all of the lights came back on instantly and stayed on - there was no progressive reboot. It sounds like I may need a new router.

Thanks for all of your help.

This happened to me not to long ago. I had to reboot the entire system once things were plugged in to let it all recognize it. My rs232 cable came off of the back of my matrix switch.

I had to unplug and redo about 5 times before it all synced up. It has been working good now for about 2 weeks. The only thing that doesn't work well is the slingbox, I have the gui and can switch to different devices but cannot control them. If any one has a suggestion on that it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived