C4 Forums | Control4

Ruckus zonedirector required when setting up multi WAPs?

Windham

Hi!

I am installing a about 7 WAPs throughout a large building. Wanted to use 5 Rukus 7363 and a couple Luxul 1040s.

They will all be PoE run back to a Luxul 1008P.

I am wondering if I will need to install Rukus' ZoneDirector, or if it will run fine without it?

Thank you very much! :D

I run the Netgear version of what you are talking about. Not intimately familiar with the equipment you are talking about but It seems that you are not going to get far without a controller (the Zone Director). Merely running lite waps into a switch won't do anything...

The ruckus controller will only work with ruckus gear. Why are you using 2 different brands?

The controller will manage channel selection, roaming, security, power, etc on ruckus AP's only.

cost. But obviously there price difference doesn't outweigh the gained compatibility. I will switch.

A 3000sqft circle of coverage is realistic expectation for each of these?

^Uh, I don't know what the cost is of a Ruckus WAP but if you can shell-out for the controller what does it matter what the price is? As for coverage, how would we know? I mean building construction and layout not to mention other interference can influence count and placement. I use four WAPS but could I use just two? Hell ya- controller powers-up those two to the max instead of throttling the four.

As for coverage, how would we know? I mean building construction and layout not to mention other interference can influence count and placement. .

Was a poorly worded question i guess... C4 has them listed 3000-5000sqft (of course you need to take building materials and everything else into consideration). Guess I was just wondering if anyone had experience using them and could report their coverage in their environment

I use four WAPS but could I use just two? Hell ya- controller powers-up those two to the max instead of throttling the four.

what kind of controller you running?

My point is not to avoid your question. If you were to install the controller and one WAP, you will see the coverage on the heat map. Go from there. Are you an installer by trade or just had this project thrown at you (?)

My point is not to avoid your question. If you were to install the controller and one WAP, you will see the coverage on the heat map. Go from there. Are you an installer by trade or just had this project thrown at you (?)

Installer's apprentice might be a good name for me... some experience.

Trying to think my way through this :cool:

Thank you, your point about installing the controller and one WAP actually spurred a great idea regarding another project i am working on.

All the best,

Archived