C4 Forums | Control4

Directv Genie Question

dugery

I was having an issue with my Directv whole home set-up last night, so I called DTV. I ended up speaking with a very experienced, knowledgable tech. He told me that the Genie actually has several additional features that currently don't exist on any of their existing DVR's. For one, say for example, you turn to NBC at 8:15 on Thursday evening, 15 minutes after 30 rock has begun. The Genie has the ability to allow you to watch that show from the beginning, even if you have not pre-recorded that particular show. It pulls it from a Directv server.

I had my hr34 installed yesterday. Its working, however the changing of the channels is extremely slow. 5 seconds, I called to complain and they said i am lucky its not 8 seconds because that is the average. Its a known issue. I told them I didnt know about it prior to this and this is unacceptable when the hr21 was working fine. They cant do anything about it and he said it wasnt directv's issue. I asked if i can use a someones elses receiver, he said no, i asked can I use a differnt satellite company, he said no. I said then it is your issue. He hung up on me.

Very dissatiisfied with this I am hoping for a new update... other than that I do like the idea of recording 5 shows at once and an additional 2 shows with the hr21 in the network. I didnt have to pay for the hr34 because I was out of contract so I did have to sign up for another 2 years.

I was having an issue with my Directv whole home set-up last night, so I called DTV. I ended up speaking with a very experienced, knowledgable tech. He told me that the Genie actually has several additional features that currently don't exist on any of their existing DVR's. For one, say for example, you turn to NBC at 8:15 on Thursday evening, 15 minutes after 30 rock has begun. The Genie has the ability to allow you to watch that show from the beginning, even if you have not pre-recorded that particular show. It pulls it from a Directv server.

Bull. Its just an HR34 with upgraded software. I know because I got "Genie" magically and didn't do a thing.

I tried to "rewind" a show without being on the channel, does work. Maybe it only works as ON DEMAND with certain stations. I know Time Warner cable can do it because it is an on demand service as well as a DVR. I dont know how it would work if the receiver is not on that channel if it not on demand

I signed up for Directv last November... have the HR24 DVD which works great as not only in my theater but also for whole home DVR. The only problem I've had via Control4 or more likely with the DVR on the H25's that I have for the rest of the house is there is a lag with fast forwarding and anything to do with use of the DVR.

My questions:

1) how big of an upgrade is the Genie to the HR24?

2) would the Genie help with the lag in the use of the DVR for the other units in the house?

I have lots of DVRs shared throughout the house. I don't see lag issues you describe accessing programming from other DVRs whether HR2x or HR34 (Genie).

I would suspect some type of network issue first.

If you got a Genie and it didn't work for you just don't sign off on it and make them take it back. But you would still get all the other Genie advantages so you may want the box anyway.

Do you have the HD DVR? I've been reading that alot of users have this same issue. My network really has not issues (using the Netgear 3500 router). Apparently the issue has to do with streaming the HD video from the DVR across the network to the other units. Where I typically really notice it is watching a recorded football game and using the ---> to advance 30 seconds between plays. When actually watching the DVR it's extremely responsive but if watching from another room, it doesn't advance nearly as quickly and if I try to stop the advancing (ie I hit the forward button 4 times to get through commercials) it takes about 4-5 seconds to respond....

I have about 5 HD DVRs including the "Genie". I never see those types of delays. You likely aren't using your ethernet network but McCA. Doesn't matter what your regular network is working like or what gear is on it.

Archived