C4 Forums | Control4

Media Player Choices on Movie Select?

pstuart

If multiple Movie player (media player) endpoints exist, ie. Dune, XBMC, Popbox...

Is there a way to choose which player the movie is played on?

How does it choose?

I currently have a room set up with a popbox, dune and WMC / HTPC and want to be able to choose which player I want a media / movie item to play on.

Thoughts?

It chooses based on the connection with the easiest path. Ask Paul smith with soho shop. He just went through this for my theater where I have xbmc and dune media players and I wanted the dune to be the default (sorry Alan;). He couldn't just delete xbmc and add dune. The physical connections on the receiver had to be changed.

tum

Two bad Control4 continues to ignore the development of it's own media library. :rolleyes:

There is your ultimate solution right there.. :)

That is *exactly* what I do right now using the DD Dune drivers and the EV AppleTV Mk1 driver.. 2 media players in the same room. With Control4 directing where to stream the file from *within* it's own library.. :)

The file remains on the media player. The file path lies in the Control4 media library. Brilliant! Problem solved.

This is why I beat on and on about this until you are all sick to death of me! All it would take to have a future proof solution to this recurring and continually annoying issue of multiple formats and media players, is for someone at Control4 to wake up and realise that the "Solution" lies within their very own media libaray!!!

Yeh sure it's not as slick and doesn't look as good as Mymovies now.. But does this really matter? Surely what matters is what ends up playing. And what if C4 spent some time and effort improving it?

All it would take is for Control4 to develop a better looking and more functional media library...with a smarter and more user friendly GUI and search.. and to have a small team in the "lab" dedicated to integrating the control of any new media player of significance that hit's the market..

We have Dune and DD covered..and WMC... AppleTV Mk1..now all we need is to add the players mentioned in the OP, and perhaps the new Autnomic Controls Mirage with it's itunes DRM and UV....and presto..we have pretty much all formats covered..

Any player released in the future with 4G, 3D, whatever..no problem. As long as it has a networkable shared HDD or a nice little sync with something like the brilliant DDNas and presto..

Just write the driver, incorporate the media player and scan the file path into the C4 library..

My OH My

That is why I bore you all to tears on this :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why oh why, the penny hasn't dropped at C4HQ on this is beyond me..

It's a win win high fives all around. Control4 lifts it's brand profile (everytime you chose a file to play you hit the big 4 button and use the CONTROL4 library!) Users are happy because when they add in or swap out a new player with better formats or whatever, it all syncs beautifully with their ONE existing Control4 media library. And Dealers are happy because they get to sell and churn more media players.. *and* sell more HC800's! Remember those? That is precisely what they are good and quick at..scrolling thru a large media library!

We wouldn't even need JRiver :lol:

Wake up Control4. The answer is lying before you right under your very noses.. With your very own media library! :)

Two bad Control4 continues to ignore the development of it's own media library. :rolleyes:

There is your ultimate solution right there.. :)

That is *exactly* what I do right now using the DD Dune drivers and the EV AppleTV Mk1 driver.. 2 media players in the same room. With Control4 directing where to stream the file from *within* it's own library.. :)

The file remains on the media player. The file path lies in the Control4 media library. Brilliant! Problem solved.

This is why I beat on and on about this until you are all sick to death of me! All it would take to have a future proof solution to this recurring and continually annoying issue of multiple formats and media players, is for someone at Control4 to wake up and realise that the "Solution" lies within their very own media libaray!!!

Yeh sure it's not as slick and doesn't look as good as Mymovies now.. But does this really matter? Surely what matters is what ends up playing. And what if C4 spent some time and effort improving it?

All it would take is for Control4 to develop a better looking and more functional media library...with a smarter and more user friendly GUI and search.. and to have a small team in the "lab" dedicated to integrating the control of any new media player of significance that hit's the market..

We have Dune and DD covered..and WMC... AppleTV Mk1..now all we need is to add the players mentioned in the OP, and perhaps the new Autnomic Controls Mirage with it's itunes DRM and UV....and presto..we have pretty much all formats covered..

Any player released in the future with 4G, 3D, whatever..no problem. As long as it has a networkable shared HDD or a nice little sync with something like the brilliant DDNas and presto..

Just write the driver, incorporate the media player and scan the file path into the C4 library..

My OH My

That is why I bore you all to tears on this :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why oh why, the penny hasn't dropped at C4HQ on this is beyond me..

It's a win win high fives all around. Control4 lifts it's brand profile (everytime you chose a file to play you hit the big 4 button and use the CONTROL4 library!) Users are happy because when they add in or swap out a new player with better formats or whatever, it all syncs beautifully with their ONE existing Control4 media library. And Dealers are happy because they get to sell and churn more media players.. *and* sell more HC800's! Remember those? That is precisely what they are good and quick at..scrolling thru a large media library!

We wouldn't even need JRiver :lol:

Wake up Control4. The answer is lying before you right under your very noses.. With your very own media library! :)

Wap, your main interest is SACD and only J River does that for you.

^ Well sure.. until a DSD.diff capable "separate" media player comes along. Wouldn't hold my breath on that one :lol:

You can convert the tracks to PCM though using Korg audiogate, It's not ideal. Your right to point out they would need to be PCM..And the purest's would hate this, but it works..

Until a Jriver driver come along (Fcuk I've said that "J" word again :lol::lol::lol:)

Anyway The Dune will play these.. That's why I'm so interested in the "Dune HD Pro".. The Linn will also play these as PCM. As will that Mirage no doubt..:)

But that is not the issue..

The idea is to NOT mix your movie/video library with your audio track library

Because Control4 separates these out anyway for you very nicely with "Watch" and "Listen"

So when I said ONE separate Control4 media library..I meant ONE separate Control4 Video library

I don't actually classify music as "media"...

You ignore the audio scan in Composer.. and let the separate Linn/Apple/or Sonos drivers (or whatever you are using for music) handle that independently which they do nicely from itunes or whatever other file folder you use for storing music.

Have a good one

:)

^ Well sure.. until a DSD.diff capable "separate" media player comes along. Wouldn't hold my breath on that one :lol:

You can convert the tracks to PCM though using Korg audiogate, It's not ideal. Your right to point out they would need to be PCM..And the purest's would hate this, but it works..

Until a Jriver driver come along (Fcuk I've said that "J" word again :lol::lol::lol:)

Anyway The Dune will play these.. That's why I'm so interested in the "Dune HD Pro".. The Linn will also play these as PCM. As will that Mirage no doubt..:)

But that is not the issue..

J river if setup right won't play in PCM. Seems you are rather limited with your other choices. i just have 2 systems. My audio collection is only 2TB.

Archived