C4 Forums | Control4

Bluetooth Compatability

MTS Power

Airport express audio out to an AVR or Audio Matrix / Amp. Pull up your phone, select airport express, stream audio to it, open up a room that it is bound to, select airport express... Audio plays... Have to control audio on phone, but that's no big deal, IMO.

I do this all the time, works great. However, it isn't bluetooth, it is WIFI, just fyi. Bluetooth isn't going to be a decent option since the audio profile is pretty bad compared to Airshare (wifi audio over Apple products) and control of bluetooth devices can be laggy and the two way is somewhat inconsistent.

Docking stations will never go away, just 1st party apple docking stations are gone for new gen connectors. Same functionality still exists with new connector, so look for licensed third party connectivity coming soon. These devices still need be charged, so look for charging and play / control solutions to always exist. However, streaming content is clearly a way to go, but limits you to that device for control, which isn't a bad thing.

AirPlay is a pretty good idea, but then you leave out your Android using buddy's. The easiest way is to add a bluetooth base station like the one I have linked below. You can either add it on as an input to you amp or matrix OR add it to an audio input on a controller to have it available to the entire system. I use one at home all the time.

http://www.ielectronics.com/products/saga-sag2022bt-home-edition-wireless-docking-station

Hope this helps!

Lots of Bluetooth streaming issues currently under the ios, not everyone experiences the issue but it is a well documented issue. Issues include considerably lower sq and frequent connection issues.

Go with an airport express or better an Sonos solution, both of these will far outperform the Bluetooth option.

Lots of Bluetooth streaming issues currently under the ios, not everyone experiences the issue but it is a well documented issue. Issues include considerably lower sq and frequent connection issues.

Go with an airport express or better an Sonos solution, both of these will far outperform the Bluetooth option.

This is a valid point. However for the price it's a winner. I use mine all the time. Rarely have an audio drop or any other issues. Nice thing is the music stays in my pocket. If I actually wanted to spend the extra $ on the other solutions I would consider it. But unless I end up buying some Dali Helicon's the sound quality for my in ceiling speakers and outdoor set up is just fine. NOTE THAT BLUETOOTH A2DP does support some good audio formats.

Lots of Bluetooth streaming issues currently under the ios' date=' not everyone experiences the issue but it is a well documented issue. Issues include considerably lower sq and frequent connection issues.

Go with an airport express or better an Sonos solution, both of these will far outperform the Bluetooth option.[/quote']

This is a valid point. However for the price it's a winner. I use mine all the time. Rarely have an audio drop or any other issues. Nice thing is the music stays in my pocket. If I actually wanted to spend the extra $ on the other solutions I would consider it. But unless I end up buying some Dali Helicon's the sound quality for my in ceiling speakers and outdoor set up is just fine. NOTE THAT BLUETOOTH A2DP does support some good audio formats.

I know you know this but some folks visiting here for info may not, but in-ceiling and in-wall speakers can in many cases outperform many floor standing speakers. Triad inWall Gold Monitors along with other models from James and Totem are amazing speakers, or course you pay for this performance.

Another good point Cashmoney lol. I do have some Totem inwalls and a really good pair of "snobby inceiling" speakers. I was just giving a usable option without the limitation of apple products. I am seeing a bit of a change when it comes to streaming and mobile audio that needs to be put out there. with Android devices now holding 75% of the market share and Google Play now having a really good method for iTunes matching I would hate to ask anyone to limit themselves. like I said I use my Bluetooth device all the time.... and I am a bit of a product snob.......

Archived