C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Distributed Audio question...

Hi guys,

I need your expertise on this one. I am considering Control4 to replace my old Russound CA66 system for my WHA. I have 11 zones that I would like included in my audio setup. Local dealer tells me I can do a Control4, 8 zone, 8 Source, together with a 4 source, 4 zone, but that I will also need the Control4, 16 source, 16 zone audio matrix switcher even though both the 8 zone unit and the 4 zone unit already have built in matrix switchers. So my question is, is this accurate, and why? Also, if I went the Contol4 route, what additional measures are needed to stream from Pandora and SiriusXM? Thanks so much for your help on this...

Best Practice would be to use the 16 x 16, you could do it without it but I wouldn't recommend it. Yes they have matrix built in but there is no line level output just speaker, so you cant have your 8 sources going into the 8 zone and then into the 4 Zone.

There are lots of options for Pandora, not sure about SiriusXM (will let someone else chime in).

I would be asking your dealer these questions and make sure you are satisfied with the response. The biggest failure point in most control4 systems is Dealer/User incompatibility.

8x8 and 4x4 amps to power the speakers.

16x16 matrix to allow all sources to all speakers (assuming you want all sources to all zones)

If you have a limited number of sources (4) you can have the sources output to both amps and avoid the matrix I imagine. or if you can separate out 4 sources you want across all 11 and 4 sources you only want on the 8x8 then you can avoid the matrix as well.

But if you have more and want them all shared across all 11 zones the matrix is the best way to go.

Thanks guys! Stormwatch and berazafi, I think I understand the concept now!! One final question: with the switcher, would the speakers plug into the amps outputs and the sources plug into the switcher's inputs? If so, how are the amps and switcher connected to each other?

In terms of the CA66, the dealer told me it was old technology and not compatible with Control4. DT, thanks so much for putting that out there! I am going to investigate this further! I would love to implement the CA66 into the Control4. It would save me a lot of money....

Thanks guys! Stormwatch and berazafi, I think I understand the concept now!! One final question: with the switcher, would the speakers plug into the amps outputs and the sources plug into the switcher's inputs? If so, how are the amps and switcher connected to each other?

In terms of the CA66, the dealer told me it was old technology and not compatible with Control4. DT, thanks so much for putting that out there! I am going to investigate this further! I would love to implement the CA66 into the Control4. It would save me a lot of money....

The 16x16 matrix is connected to the amps using analogue stereo cables physically. this would be 1-to1 if done properly. In other words, 8 stereo pairs to the 8zone amps, 4 to the 4zone - or 6 to the amp you have.

Trickiest part of using that russound amp is that you need to somehow DEFEAT the switching abilitly of the old amp within the C4 enviroment. (C4 amps have this built in). It'll work without doing that but MAY display odd behaviour and lose a zone or 2 for a time over a longer period. Now the chances are not very big on this happeneing, less so the fewer people are using the system at the same time, but you should know of the possibility beforehand. Nothing that can't be "fixed" by a re-boot of the system, but for some it's a big annoyance.

This, for those who are curious, is part of the "matrix into a matrix" tracking issue - I'm positive more can be found on these forums on this.

you could use the ca66 the way you are already using it as a matrix and amp. you would not need to use a control4 matrix or amps. to intagrate this with control4 you would use the serial driver and hook it up to a serial port on a control4 io extender or on a hc800. then set the connections in programing to control the ca66.

you could use the ca66 the way you are already using it as a matrix and amp. you would not need to use a control4 matrix or amps. to intagrate this with control4 you would use the serial driver and hook it up to a serial port on a control4 io extender or on a hc800. then set the connections in programing to control the ca66.

Uhm yeah, except that there are more than 6 zones and potentially more than 6 sources.

Ok. Thanks for the info! So does that mean I could possibly buy another CA66 and link those together and just connect to the control4 controller through the serial? This would allow for the 11 zones that I need. If so, would I receive any source metadata on the interfaces??

Yes you could and yes you will. Again, and if this is an issue for you isn't clear, you'll be limited to 6 sources for the total without the matrix switch. Also, controller outputs (if you use them to stream audio) cannot -should not- be split out so if you'd need at least two outputs there (one 800, or one 300, or two 250's etc).

Yes you could and yes you will. Again, and if this is an issue for you isn't clear, you'll be limited to 6 sources for the total without the matrix switch. Also, controller outputs (if you use them to stream audio) cannot -should not- be split out so if you'd need at least two outputs there (one 800, or one 300, or two 250's etc).

I got a bit confused on this last bit. :). Can you elaborate on this a little?? Thanks

Our 11 zones.

Main living 300C this controls a Pioneer with 5.3 and zone 2 rear deck.

Kitchen SP wifi

Garage SP wifi

Craft Rm. SP

Basement 5.1 with a Denon. Zone 2 front porch the 300C also controls sitting rm. with tv and speaker bar.

Master bed 200B for tv also SP wifi for tv speakers.

Master bath SP wifi

Kids rm. older 200 for tv and SPwifi for tv speakers.

Teen rm. SP wifi.

Also have a 1000

We can listen to Rhapsody or Internet radio in any zone and the last I check 3-4 different music selection if we wanted.

This works great for us.

Archived