C4 Forums | Control4

Solution to FIOS wired/wireless networks not communicating

akg4y

For a few weeks I was having issues with my wired and wireless networks communicating on my FIOS network and in fact I think this may have been part of what caused my entire C4 system to go haywire each night during the holidays, leading me to upgrade my whole system from an HC-1000 to an HC-800.

Essentially up until December if you logged onto any computer in the house you would see everything on my network, control4 devices, my NAS devices, laptops, etc. Then suddenly in December most of the stuff disappeared from the network whenever I logged on, and sometimes some things showed up and others didnt. I didnt put 2 and 2 together until January but essentially what was happening was my wired devices could only see other wired devices and my wireless devices could only detect other wireless devices. If I manually searched for the other devices I could connect to them but they just didnt automatically show up.

Turns out FIOS released a firmware update beginning in summer for the Actiontec routers and it not only changed one setting but for some people it also removed the option to alter that setting from the router admin controls. Fortunately I found a thread with a solution and way to change the setting:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Communication-between-wired-and-wireless-network-on-actiontec/td-p/461359

So if you have FIOS and have noticed some weirdness with seeing all of your network devices, try changing this setting.

Archived