C4 Forums | Control4

Recorded Voice Upon Event

tumult

Guys - I've searched the forums but didn't see anything on playing a sound upon the happening of certain events. I thought I read something, but can't find it now. Anyhow, an example would be, playing "Time to take out the trash" on Sunday night (in my neighborhood) or when the c4 menu pops up on screen, "please select tv, movies, radio, or game console." I was looking for how to do this within control4, and if there were a list of recorded voice messages where you would want something recorded and played. does that make sense?

thanks,

tum

Are you able to do this with just a regular HTC with the mp3 on a drive on the network? Would it then be possible to say have a pre-recorded Video-say a quicktime movie that could be played at a certain time on a certain TV??

No, Control4 doesn't stream video. You would need to hook a PC into the TV and use girder to have the PC open quicktime and play the movie. All automated by control4. Way to complex for what you want to do! Control4 doesn't really offer good user feedback like that. I wish there were a way to display messages in Navigator.

Try this link

http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

then convert to mp3

haha. You wouldn't be my wonderful installer would you? He just gave me that link and its pretty sweet. I asked the original question because I am planning on ordering this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=888519

So, are people using recorded voices and if so, what for? it seems pretty sci fi b/c you would have a voice talking to you on the happening of an event. The only thing missing is having the computer respond to your voice commands...

tum

Try this link

http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

then convert to mp3

haha. You wouldn't be my wonderful installer would you? He just gave me that link and its pretty sweet. I asked the original question because I am planning on ordering this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=888519

So, are people using recorded voices and if so, what for? it seems pretty sci fi b/c you would have a voice talking to you on the happening of an event. The only thing missing is having the computer respond to your voice commands...

tum

What exactly is that? Is it a ton of pre-recorded voices that you want to integrate with control4 to tell you what you're doing? If you're buying that, you need to make sure that you're using mp3s.

my understanding is that the op gets someone in the tv/film industry to basically record all kinds of lines for a fee. You can then use the recorded voice in conjunction with whatever you want. I think most people are using it for their home theaters as a way to welcome you to their theater and play annoncements along with movie slides/previews before the movie begins. Yes, its cheesy, but it should be fun if you're having a kids birthday at the house.

tum

Someone at avsforum has organized a recording like this several times. You might want to search there and see when they might be doing it next. I participated in the last one and it only cost $10 or $20 bucks each. The group came up with a bunch of generic lines like "Welcome to our home theater", "Come to dinner", "Bedtime", "happy birthday" etc... and then each person was allowed 25 or 50 specific words like your kids names, your theater's name, etc.

A profesional voice over artist was hired and then it was all distributed out as mp3's. It turned out great. Now I just need to find the time to use it in the system.

Hi,

I recoreded a greating on the attached AT&T site, downloaded it in the .wav format...then used a converter to change it to MP3...then loaded it into Control4. I can find the song, when I click it in the lower right hand of screen "digital audio" comes up for just a second and then goes away...and the recording never plays. It also does not create a session for it in the room I pick. It's like it does not recognize it.

I can take this same MP3, and it will play under Windows Media Player....any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Greetings,

I was certain I had this figured out and now I am really uncertain. Here's what I am trying to do.

I created a greeting using the AT&T link provided above. It is saved to my hard drive as a WAV file. I then converted the WAV file to a MP3 at 128bit and even higher. I then transfer the files to my Western Digital MY Book 750GB External hard drive.

I then hooked it up to my Control 4 box and perform a hard reboot.

Once booted, I reopen my Composer 4 software and select Media. Then I select the scan button and let it do its thing.

I then use my Control4 remote and so to the music files and select my recording. When I select it to play, it does not show up in the current playing list and then it turns off my receiver.

Any one have any advice? This is driving me NUTS!

Thanks in adavnce!

ZDigital1

I tried this last night and it works great with no problems!

I am not sure this is the best way but it works, so bare with me programing wizards!!

I wanted to make a alert " please take out the trash" My wife is always bishing at me that I forget to take out the trash.........go figure!!! :D

I used the AT&T link above, " please take out the trash" then i downloaded it to my laptop. Used the "switch" program (above)to convert it to a MP3 and saved it to my MY MUSIC2 ( an empty folder) on my laptop. Then loged into Composer. Went to media tab, went to the media controler and clicked the " ADD " tab. Composer then gives you the option to browse your harddrive, so I opened up MY MUSIC2 and uploaded it onto the media controler.

I then renamed the file in the media controler and then added it to a new playlist called "TRASH". I then went into the scheduler and made a schedule "TRASH", to triggger every Monday night at 9:00pm.

I then told Composer when TRASH schedule triggers, play the TRASH playlist in my kitchen " Please take out the trash"

Works like a charm........might not be the best way......but seemed to work and was easy to do.

Scott

Yeah - in your case Scott - just have it play the media at 9pm in the kitchen... making it a wakeup scene is pointless as you really don't use the wakeup agent (toggling it on / off on the TS in the kitchen or bedroom etc... - instead, you're doing it in Composer directly - and thus all you need to do is schedule at 9pm on Mon - Play Media File "Trash").

Shawn,

Only prob is i cant figure out how to tell it to change the volume to X when the event is triggered. The default volume is too low and I dont want to turn up the defualt volume so when I turn on that room,it is too loud........so humm where is the commnad to tell it to play " TRASH" playlist at X volume?

The wake up scene allows me to turn that playlist on at a certain volume and even allows me to play it again in an hour, as another reminder.

help?

Scott

Archived