C4 Forums | Control4

Remote access MyHome app and security cameras

Hello there,

Something weird is going on and I was wondering if you guys have any ideas why this is happening. I currently have a wirepath 16 channel DVR that's successfully integrated with C4. While in the house, I can go to any touch panel or MyHomePC running on my windows machine and I'm able to see all cameras thru C4 interface. When I'm away and trying to access the system remotely with either the iOS app on my phone or the MyHomePC app on my computer, everything else works BUT the security cameras. It just shows the blue image that you see before the real camera image loads.

All the necessary ports (80,5020,5021, and 5555) are correctly forwarded but it still does not allow me to view the security cameras from a remote location. What's even weirder is that if I log in to my.control4.com account, I am able to view all the cameras via the HTML navigator.

Bottom line, only the MyHome apps don't show the camera feed when I'm at a remote location trying to connect to the home.

Any ideas?

The ios application connects to the cameras directly. As such you have no route to the internal IP address that is programmed in. the better way to control your home remotely is to connect via a VPN.

I have the same DVR. My dealer had me add ports 5050 and 6050 to be forwarded as well. This allows me to view the cameras remotely. Try adding those.

Tony

I have the same DVR. My dealer had me add ports 5050 and 6050 to be forwarded as well. This allows me to view the cameras remotely. Try adding those.

Tony

Also allows the whole world access to your cameras. Very insecure

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... Port Forward = BAD! Don't do it. Get a VPN!!!!!

If you want this to work, your cameras will need to be configured to be on your public IP (which will most likely change) and on different ports mapped through your firewall and set them up that way in composer pro.

THIS IS A VERY BAD IDEA. Forwarding your C4 controller port allows ANYONE to download your project, or send simple instructions to your system to do all kinds of things like, turn on/off your lights, or even worse, set your thermostat to 90 degrees or turn your heat off...

Anyway, get a VPN, all these risks go away.

I agree with you guys. Port forwarding is a bad idea. My dealer installed a VPN router by Cisco But after doing some reading, the VPN client on iOS devices won't be able to connect to it. I currently use WRVS4400N and I apparently need a quickVPN client? I use macs and iOS devices and it is supposedly incompatible with this router. Am I wrong? Anyone have any ideas or a good guide to set up a VPN server on a windows machine?

Thanks for all the inputs guys! I appreciate it

Archived