C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer Acting strange

Hi all,

I have a dimmer that is acting strange. Dimmer software version is 03.16.28. What happens is when the off value is set to 0 or if I set the value in composer to 0 or try to set anything to 0 the lights remain on at say 20%. I have looked at all the settings for the dimmer: Min on level % = 0 cold start level = 0 preset level = 0.

Nothing seems to get the lights to turn off. I even tried toggling on off and specifically pressing on and off in composor. It comes ON at FULL and when off is at 20%.....

I also noticed its not dimming (and it always dimmed) on is 100% on and off is 20% off.... if I hold the button down it doesnt ramp down.

Anyone got any ideas. And to put a cherry on top its my bedroom light...

What kind of lights do you have on the dimmer?

Is the dimmer wired with a neutral, or is it 'switch-leg' wiring?

If the dimmer is 'switch-leg' wired (no neutral), and the loads are LED, you will get some visible light when the dimmer is 'off', since the 'switch-leg' wiring has to send power through the load to power the electronics of the device.

Other than that, it sounds like the dimmer's got some issues. Have you pulled the air gap, waited a bit, then pushed it back on? I'd do that, and also try the 'reset' button taps, but I don't remember what they are off the top of my head.

RyanE

They normal down lighters not LED's.... run off 12v transformers. There is no neutral so it is switch-leg. Weird thing is that it use to work perfectly its just recently that its done this.

I will try the dimmer reset which is apparently top 9 taps then bottom 9 taps then top 9 taps again.

I don't understand the "air gap" whats that?

Thanks for the help Ryan

Air gap is the little piece on the top LED that you can grab with your fingernails and pull straight up.

This opens the power circuit for the dimmer, the same as flipping a breaker would.

Wait with it off for a few seconds, then press it back down, and it'll power up, hopefully solving your issue.

If it used to work and now it doesn't, and the loads, etc. have not changed, it sounds possibly like a dimmer failure to me.

Sorry.

RyanE

Archived