C4 Forums | Control4

Alarm System Concord/Smoke Alarms

Hey guys,

have a quick question regarding GE Concord and smoke alarms.

installing concord panel shortly, and was looking at integration of smoke alarms. The system says it supports a loop for 8 or so smoke alarms (i have 6 i believe)

currently my system is wired into AC power from the house, (red, white, black) wire. i assume black is hot, white is neutral, and red is the loop that connects all the smokes together? is this as simple as looping the red into my concord board? or is this a different system all together.

also, what is the advantage of looping this into my concord. and ultimately is there any advantage from a c4 standpoint to have this integrated into my concord?

Jon

I'm no expert, but that sounds like an AC only system. The red makes all the systems go off together, but I don't think you can connect to a concord system.

I was on ADT, I was always told that they were monitoring the smoke detectors. I have the same 3 wires. Turns out they never connected to the pannel and I can't use the smoke detectors I have with a alarm system. I ended up getting a few wireless smoke detectors so concord would monitor them.

As for C4.... your could have the lights all come on when an smoke alarm goes off. Probably flash the out side too. Be warned your neighbors will then know when you burn your food.

The smoke detectors you are describing are not compatible with your alarm system. You mush purchase smoke and heat sensors specifically designed for 12v security systems.

You can use a relay to tie in the existing ax hardwired alarms but this is not up to code and is not a reliable way to monitor your home. But really, don't do this.

Ge makes wireless smoke/ heat detectors. I use three in addition to the achardwired alarms in the house.

Smoke alarms have the alarm built into the unit and are 120v and are to be tied into a lighting circuit so they can not be turn off.

The smoke alarms must be indapenant or that will violate the electrical code.

The red wire incorrects all the smoke alarms so if one goes into alarm they all go into alarm.

Smoke detector is 24v wired back to to fire alarm panel and if the smoke detector detects smoke the fire alarm panel triggers alarm. Fire alarm systems must be indapenant of any other system.

If you add a security system to your home you can add smoke detectors but can not remove your smoke alarms that are required by the electrical code. Removing or tampering with smoke alarm could void your insurance coverage on your home.

Security systems have wired and wireless smoke detectors and can not replace your smoke alarms.

Smoke alarms are the standard and security system can inhance them to give extra piece of mind when your away from your home.

Archived