C4 Forums | Control4

Why to buy a media controller ???

Hi guys i saw on the control4 website some media controler for sale . My question is why to buy a media controler if you can get only a nas and make your hc xxx as a media player ?? I know its build for dvd and everythings but you can buy a Kaleidescape for more money but you can do much more with it ??? Need some info on it or the why to buy ??

Because your hc xxx is not a media player for video files. If you happen to have video files stored in a format that the C4 media player will play, and want a "one brand" solution or have some other need for the C4 player then go for it. Most are using Xbmc, dune, popcorn hour, fusion, etc. as they are more flexible with playback of file types.

And you're right about k-scape costing more...quite a bit more.

So if i only got some music on a nas i dont need a media controler to play my music from it rigth ???

Because your hc xxx is not a media player for video files. If you happen to have video files stored in a format that the C4 media player will play, and want a "one brand" solution or have some other need for the C4 player then go for it. Most are using Xbmc, dune, popcorn hour, fusion, etc. as they are more flexible with playback of file types.

And you're right about k-scape costing more...quite a bit more.

You need a media player like Sonos, Dune, XBMC, C4 etc. to play media files. Most of us use one or more of them for specific purposes. I use Dune and a 400 disc Bluray player for movies, Sonos for music. It really depends what you want to do with your digital media. The 3rd party players are often better than the C4 stuff in terms of media type support and codecs. My next player will be XBMC or a new Dune3D player.

So if i only got some music on a nas i dont need a media controler to play my music from it rigth ???

Correct. The HC300,200,250,& 800 can all stream audio to a receiver, amp or TV (I really don't recomend the TV route) from a NAS.

Yes your are absolutly right thanks ryan my mistake i was talking about the media player .

BTW, a *media controller* is *not* a *media player*.

Media Controller was Control4's first released controller, and is *WAAAAAAY* obsolete at this point in time.

RyanE

For the moment i only want to play music from a nas or internet radio . But i got a another question now . Is there any component i can buy who will do (mp3 , dvd , internet radio ) all in one ?

You need a media player like Sonos, Dune, XBMC, C4 etc. to play media files. Most of us use one or more of them for specific purposes. I use Dune and a 400 disc Bluray player for movies, Sonos for music. It really depends what you want to do with your digital media. The 3rd party players are often better than the C4 stuff in terms of media type support and codecs. My next player will be XBMC or a new Dune3D player.

For the moment i only want to play music from a nas or internet radio . But i got a another question now . Is there any component i can buy who will do (mp3 , dvd , internet radio ) all in one ?

Dune, Popcornhour, XBMC will all do that for you.

Archived