C4 Forums | Control4

NAS Video Media Scan Works, Gracenote Title Searchs are one at a time

Struggling with this one! I have a NAS that I've attached using the provided Network File Storage driver. I have the location set properly and the scan works well and is finding all my Video files like a charm. However, none of the metadata located in the same folders as the movie titles is imported. I have xbmc, and .nfo files sharing the same folder as the movie title. Each movie has it's own folder. The scan populates the Media database with all the titles, but no metadata. Additonally, I can search ad manually add the meta data, by double-clicking a title and pressing the search button and selecting the correct title from the gracenote suggestions. But man that would take a long time to do all my titles, over 530 of the them! How can I simply have this search done automatically, or at least initiate a bullk search through all the titles that have been scanned in already. Then I can review and make corrections for the titles that it got wrong... I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this...

And then to top it off. The navigators all show just the title names and not any of the meta data that I have pulled in manually! I've refreshed them, but still no luck, just a plain old text based listing of the movies with no cover art and not meta data details. So even for the ones I did search gracenote manually, over 100 so far, those all still just show up as text on the C4 navigators!

Argh! Any and all suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

Like to know more about it. Does that solution populate the media database so all the metadata appears on the navigators?

I use XBMC and a Sony Changer. Right now the integration all works really well. Using the RecluseAV xbmc driver and I can select a movie from the navigator and it switches to the PC and plays perfect.

Would like to talk to someone in depth about the EV and MyMovies solution before spending $

Can you point me in the right direction?

The only downside of the my movies driver from ev is that you can ONLY use it with a media player driver from ev. They encrypt the path string for the file.

I think what ev does is totally wrong. Ev exists due to c4 being open yet they go ahead and lock you in to their drivers.

Spoke with them and this solution won't work for me. It's exactly as mfgreenf says. They only work with a few media players and the path to the media file is not exposed for use by other players like XBMC. I watched the driver install video and you can see how the path is spoofed to the controller's file system and that's where My Movies is pushing the metadata.

Nice driver but completely useless for me. Oh well.

The only downside of the my movies driver from ev is that you can ONLY use it with a media player driver from ev. They encrypt the path string for the file.

I think what ev does is totally wrong. Ev exists due to c4 being open yet they go ahead and lock you in to their drivers.

Yes, the encrypting is very stupid of Extra Veggies and I think Control4 should have a strict policy not allowing developers to do that because it's an anti competitive practice.

For me it was okish because I just use a Dune player and their drivers. On the positive side it works great! I just wish they made drivers for XBMC, etc. to fill in the holes but I'd rather use the Recluse XBMC driver if possible. I don't have an XBMC box yet but this is an issue no doubt.

Encryption is required for some 3rd-party device partners to even release their protocols to Control4 and others.

While I sure *wish* all drivers were unencrypted (at a minimum, it helps people understand how to make drivers), when a company is trying to make money on selling drivers, encrypting those drivers is pretty clearly required.

As far as their trying to make it only work with players they choose, I agree, that's a sneaky trick.

RyanE

RyanE I wasn't aware they encrypted the drivers, I thought it was just the paths. I'm ok with the drivers but why does C4 even allow anyone to physically alter the paths for media management. Doesn't that violate any C4 agreements? Effectively they have hijacked your operating system haven't they?

No, they haven't "effectively hijacked the operating system". That's quite a bit of hyperbole.

A device driver that manages it's own media can give whatever paths it wants, nonsensical or completely logical.

They're certainly well within their rights if they only want their media management driver to work with the drivers they've created for the player.

As far as competition, any developer could certainly make a 'more open' version of the driver that'd work with any player, but they'll have to put in the time, money, and effort to research and create a working driver.

Ryan

In this case, there really isn't anything to be gained by jacking this media management solution the way they have. I would have been a paying customer, now I am not. Had they simply passed the true path to the media files into the C4 database, then I would be free to use my existing XBMC player or any media player for that matter.

The RecluseAV driver for XBMC just grabs the media file path and pushes it along to XBMC. It doesn't care at all about how the darn media got there, just that the path is good. And no, I don't think this is ploy to sell a second driver for the other media players they do support. That happens anyway because of the transport controls and such.

So now, I will not buy an EV driver and I won't buy MY Movies either. Essentially, these guys are just poor businessmen. And it cost two companies a customer for really no reason.

Amateurs. IMHO.

Archived