C4 Forums | Control4

GE Concord stops communicating with Vlinx Serial to IP converter

I have a five year old system where the GE Concord Superbus Automation module connects to a Vlinx 902 Serial to IP converter and then into my network. Every couple of weeks the communication between the Vlinx and Superbus module gets dropped and I cannot get it to re-connect. Cycling the power on/off does not help. My installer can get things working by using Composer Pro to add the Vlinx or Superbus back into the project (not sure which one though). Does anyone have any idea why the communication would get dropped? When it does I get a error on my GE keypad that says "BUS Failure Unit AM6". I can still see the VLinx on my network but the Port Status now shows "Not connected" and I have no more access to the Security through Control4.

The error you mention is a standard error that pops up when the superbus loses connection to it's outside component.

Which of course don't tell you much as it could still be: - superbus to vlinkx or vlinx to control4.

Must say I find it rather odd to use a vlinx for something quite so intensive as a security system. I'm assuming it's a single port, not multiple, but even then for that price one may as well network an i/o extender at the panel, or better yet move the superbus using the same cat to a controller or......

Anyway. At first glance I would say it's either the Superbus itself (rare but I've had one or two fail over the years) or the Vlinx that is the problem.

But info is a little limited, for all I know the serial cable between the Concord and the Vlinx got pinched and occasionally shorts out...

Archived