C4 Forums | Control4

Help... NO WIFI

Hey folks... looking for some help here.

I recently recycled my media rack which houses my VZ FIOS router (Actiontec M1424WR - with WIFI disabled), my Netgear R6300, Dell 24port switch, HC-800, HC-1000 and other media do-dads.

Upon restart, my 1000 controller does not seem to be broadcasting or receiving Wifi. The Zigbee seems to be functioning as my lights and other keypad functionality seems to be working without issue. Just cannot connect to either controller.

Any ideas on what to do?

Well, the 1000 doesnt have wifi, just a network cable port. I'm assuming the 1000 is director and 800 runs zigbee and navigator.

What led lights are lit up on the front of the 1000?

From what you're saying, with keypad and light functionality, everything is able to communicate to director, otherwise the keypads wouldn't work, so you're getting network connectivity to that box (assuming the hc1000).

And by connect, you mean with Composer HE or...?

Well the regular power lights are on... As is the LINK lights but nothing else. I have both the controllers plugged into the Netgear router. I have disabled the wifi on the FIOS router as to avoid conflict.

When I say "connect", I mean to the controllers via wifi with iPad, iPhone, and composer.

Probably the IP address for your HC1000 controller changed somehow. That's why your iphones can no longer connect.

What IP address is the controller and what IP address are the Iphones trying to connect to?

You should set up the HC1000 on a static IP address.

Probably the IP address for your HC1000 controller changed somehow. That's why your iphones can no longer connect.

What IP address is the controller and what IP address are the Iphones trying to connect to?

You should set up the HC1000 on a static IP address.

How would I know what the IP address on the controller is?

I'd need to know that before I set up a static. I'm glad I've gotten this far by myself but goddamn these hiccups! I guess its all part of learning.

I recently recycled my media rack which houses my VZ FIOS router (Actiontec M1424WR - with WIFI disabled), my Netgear R6300, Dell 24port switch, HC-800, HC-1000 and other media do-dads.

What does this mean exactly? Did you replace your router with another one? Is it hooked up differently? Ie. before it might have been plugged into the Actiontec router with IP address range of 192.168.1.x but now it's connected to a netgear router with a range of 192.168.0.x

How would I know what the IP address on the controller is?

With an IP scanner.

I'm not familiar with the iphone app. Does it tell you the IP address of the controller? is it saved there somewhere where you can find it?

In windows open a command prompt and type 'ipconfig /all' this will tell you the current IP address range. Compare that with what the Iphone app was trying to connect to.

Well thank you for the FING suggestion. Great little tool.

So I had reconfigured the router(s)/networking situation.

I now have the FIOS router (with wifi disabled) leading to the switch providing a connection to all cable boxes and in wall jacks. I also have a line from the the FIOS router leading to the Net Gear router. The controllers are attached to the Net Gear router via Ethernet cables. When I connected the controllers to the Dell switch I could not find them anywhere on the network then I connected them back into the Net Gear router.

I can now see them and their IP's on the provided Net Gear router. I have confirmed that the Iphones and Ipads are "looking" for the IP addresses listed on the Net Gear router.

So... I still cannot with Iphone or Ipad.

I launched Composer and none of the controllers have shown up on the initial launch window. So it leads me to believe the controllers are not even broadcasting Wifi. Is that possible?

ok, slow down. None of the controllers are broadcasting "Wifi"

You are confusing "Wifi" for network traffic.

You said you have two routers, the FIOS router and the net gear one, which one do you want as the gateway?

You have a modem / router attached to the internet, this is your gateway device and probably your firewall and DHCP server

Then you have it attached to a switch, which sends TCP/IP packets around your network

Do you have a WiFi Access point connected to the switch or was the net gear router also doing wifi?

Most likely you have changed your dhcp server and probably introduced a double nat...

Take a step back, diagram out what you know...

What is the IP address of the FIOS router and can you access it from inside your network, wired? wireless?

What is the IP address of the net gear router, access wired? wireless?

What is the IP address of any iPhone / iPad?

So it turns out that my router update is what threw everything out of whack. My dealer came over and confirmed I did nothing wrong and after a bit of toying around with the router settings (pretty much a reset), everything is working again. Updated to the latest version and such. All is right in the world.

Archived