C4 Forums | Control4

How to invoke an action when volume is set to X

Hi all,

I'd like to be able to turn on a particular lighting scene when I turn down the volume to a pre-determined level on the receiver. Not sure how to do it though...

I'd like to be able to turn the volume to (for example) -40 and have a lighting scene come on.. just like at the movies! :o)

Can anyone assist?

Cheers,

Chris

The receiver would need to have a two-way driver (serial and IP) with discreet control. Easy to check if you have a "navigator" interface - if the room show percentages - off you go.

Figure out the precentage you want to trigger from

Then:

When [room] current volume changes -- this is from the break out room variable

IF current volume is xx --- or is smaller then, depending if you want a VERY specific level or if you want it to trigger at any lavel under xx

...[programming]

Some receiver drivers MAY have there own volume triggers - but this would have to be implemented by the driver's develpoer.

Thanks CyKnight.

I have an Integra 80.3, and it has 2 way serial control, but the driver has everything EXCEPT volume state. It has a tonne of variables like mute, inputs, outputs, power, loudness, device specific commands, zone controls... but nothing to do with volume at a certain level, not that I can find anyway.

Cheers,

Chris

Yeah, I did all that. I can find the current volume variable in the device events, but just thinking about it, I only checked the variables in the receiver in the device actions. Should I be looking in the actions room variables instead? if so, I'll have to check tonight when I get home. I've also shot Alan Chow an email and asked him if the Integra driver has any sort of % control. Hopefully he'll know if I'm chasing my tail with the driver or not as he set my system up. I hope you guys are right and I've just missed it...

Cheers,

Chris

Yeah, ok, I don't get it...

I have all the variables, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I have heaps of control over the receiver. Under commands, I have all these;

Set to value ...

Set to random value between ...

set an exact level

Set to value of...

When I set the variable, the statement is "If Theatre->CURRENT_VOLUME is EQUAL TO the value in Theatre->CURRENT_VOLUME". Well, how do I know what the CURRENT_VOLUME is? How do I set that?

I only want the lights to come if I set the volume at (for example) -40

Sorry for the noob questions...

Cheers,

Chris

You shouldn't be SETTING the variable at all - you need to read it so you know IF it's xx% or not.

So 1) figure out what -40dB is in percentage (set receiver manually and read % off of a Tscreen)

then 2)

Under room variables find Current Volume (changes) - then under that "event" of volume change, on the right side go to the variable, go to the "conditional" tab and find the option IF current volume = [value] -the one where you can type in the number, not the one with a drop-down- and that [Value] is whatever percentage equals -40dB on the amp.

Then embedded/indented to that IF statement, program the lighting scene.

Thanks CyKnight. The noob penny has dropped. I've created the rule and will give it a run when I next fire up the room...

Should I also put in an additional command to say when the volume is above that level, do nothing, or turn the lights off? or will it happen automagically in the background?

Cheers,

Chris

The event will only trigger at the level you set (or if using my earlier example when equal to or below that level.

If you want to do the reverse when it goes above that level again, then yes you would need to program that yourself. Same ides, when volume changes, if volume is more than xx.....

Yep, makes sense.

Could that cause a problem with other lighting scenes? For example, if I set a rule that said "If Theatre->CURRENT_VOLUME is GREATER THAN 60 in Theatre->CURRENT_VOLUME" then turn off the lights, would that confuse the other lighting scenes that are envoked when pausing a movie, or stopping a movie?

Cheers,

Chris

Archived