C4 Forums | Control4

Kwikset/Baldwin Zigbee & Battery Drain

Letran

I remember when I first got my Kwikset lock I had to install it and wait for a few months to get the dealer to come by and add it to the project. During this time the batteries on the kwikset drains quickly. As explained to me its constantly trying to connect to a zigbee radio. But once the lock was added to the project the batteries last a long time.

My question is I would like to install a kwikset or a Baldwin in my other house. I'm not sure if I will install Control4 in that house. Its a very good possibility but the house is over 100 years old. But if I do I want these locks used.

In the event that I do not go ahead with control4 in this property but I want to keep these locks there is there a way to help the battery draining issue.

My thoughts are to:

Install an HC200 create a project and add the kwikset/Baldwin lock then unplug the HC200? I'm not sure if that will work? Any thoughts?

Remove the zigbee module from the lock..they just plug in...this will save the battery from the radio

Perfect, I'll have to check out which and where is that module when I get home but that is the perfect solution. Cheers

Remove the zigbee module from the lock..they just plug in...this will save the battery from the radio

Perfect' date=' I'll have to check out which and where is that module when I get home but that is the perfect solution. Cheers[/quote']

It's very easy to see, and it just slides straight up. It's the only thing in there that slides out, other than the battery tray. It's right in front of that, actually.

What I would do if I were you is just buy the lock from Home Depot, then if you want to make it a zigbee lock you can buy the module from ebay. The module sells for between $35 and $70, and the lock at Home Depot is about $120. That's is way cheaper than $300 from C4.

Archived