C4 Forums | Control4

Script to check open doors/windows and announce it

shareez

Hey guys,

I have a question. Let me start by saying this. I have programmed an announcement for every window and door so that if any of them open, an announcement plays stating which door/window has opened. There are times when i'm about to leave and i want to arm the alarm and all it says on the keypad (whether the physical keypad or the C4 UI) is Zone 19 open. I have no clue what Zone 19 is.... I do have a 6-button keypad at every exit with 1 button free that i was hoping i could just push and it would check all the windows and doors and tell me if anything was open. If a window was open, it could just play that announcement and I would know where to start searching.

Any idea how I would go about programming a script or something to let me know? If everything is closed, I want an "all clear" announcement to play?

any help would be great! :)

I do this same thing. Details to follow soon. Too much to post from my phone.

Edit:

Here's what you need to do...and it's going to take a bit because you need a ton of conditionals. The good news is, you have all the announcements created already.

When that button is released, you need to run the following script:

If KITCHEN WINDOW IS OPEN

Execute announcement KITCHEN WINDOW IS OPEN

STOP

If LIVING ROOM WINDOW IS OPEN

Execute announcements LIVING ROOM WINDOW IS OPEN

Stop

You need to repeat that for every sensor. The key is the STOP command. What this means is that if two things are open, you won't know that initially. It will tell you the kitchen window is open. You go close it, come back and hit the button again, and it will tell you if another sensor is open. At the very bottom, you have the command:

Execute Announcement ALL DOORS ARE CLOSED

You will know they are all closed if it gets down to that at the end, because if any of the sensors are open along the way, the STOP command will end the script at the point.

Make sense? That's how I have it done. There may be a better way, but that was what seemed like the best idea to me when I set it up 3+ years ago.

Why not put in some variables to count how many windows are open and make the announcement, "5 windows are open". Then set it up so you get a push notification to your phone listing the windows that are open. That shouldn't be too difficult to program.... I "Think"

^That would work too.

Every time a window or door opens, variable = +1. Everytime it closes, variable = -1. Then you could use any of the number of tools out there to push an outbound message, you just need to embed the variable information.

I don't think it would be any easier than what I proposed, however.

Could you not have a variable for something open i.e. Alarm Sensor Open

Start with:

Variables-> Alarm Sensor Open = False

Then continue:

If KITCHEN WINDOW IS OPEN

Execute announcement KITCHEN WINDOW IS OPEN

Variables-> Alarm Sensor Open = True

If LIVING ROOM WINDOW IS OPEN

Execute announcements LIVING ROOM WINDOW IS OPEN

Variables-> Alarm Sensor Open = True

etc... then:

IF Variables-> Alarm Sensor Open is False

Execute Announcement ALL DOORS ARE CLOSED

Wouldn't it then list all the open items or ALL DOORS ARE CLOSED?

^That would work too.

Every time a window or door opens, variable = +1. Everytime it closes, variable = -1. Then you could use any of the number of tools out there to push an outbound message, you just need to embed the variable information.

I don't think it would be any easier than what I proposed, however.

Not easier to program for sure... I was just thinking its a lot less back and forth pushing a button. This would be a one time push that nets you an announcement letting you know how many windows if any are open followed by a push notification listing all the open windows. So its push once and be done.

Of course the best option would be to motorize every window and have them all close when you leave.

I had my dealer have certain LED's change color if a window or door was open. I have every window and door on its on contact/zone (60+) so it was a PITA for him.

I also have an announcement play if the AC is running and a door/window is open

Archived