C4 Forums | Control4

Simple Sonos Play/Pause Driver Interest?

pstuart

I just got a Sonos connect and was very happy with the iOS app for control of all the media and such, but just couldn't justify the price for EV's driver, at almost 100% of what I paid for the connect to enable my system.

After using Sonos awhile and realizing all I want is a driver that "plays" when I turn a room on, and "pauses" when I turn it off, I set out to write a driver that will do just that...  Then I use the iOS app to queue up music, etc.

I have a working prototype, and it works for my needs, but I'm putting this out there to see if others have interest in a simple sonos IP one way driver, just to control the basics of the device... Think the equivalent of an IR driver for the buttons on the top / front...  Play/Pause for now, but later could be next track, volume up / down, etc.

I by no means want to replace EV's driver, and am very excited about what they might be coming out with in the next version, enough to even buy it, but until then, this will work for me.

So, if you want just a simple IP based play/pause (and maybe a few more basic commands) driver for Sonos, let me know and I can polish it up and make it functional beyond my proof of concept...

Finished up the basic driver for this.  Think of a basic CD player.  You just need the IP of the specific SONOS device you want to control.  One driver per Sonos device.

I have added inputs and outputs to this, so you can wire it up to existing systems.

The CD player proxy I used allows for play and pause, skip to next / previous track and then I mapped the local volume controls to the scan fwd/rev so not to interfere with existing SONOS driver controls, etc.

This allows you to do everything thing you can do from the local SONOS device using the buttons, and really nothing more.  It will play on launch / on and pause on room off, so you aren't streaming with no one listening.

This is NOT meant to replace EV's driver, but to just be a simple way to control individual SONOS devices purely one way.  I would highly suggest anyone with SONOS consider EV's driver, especially when 2.6 hits.  However, if you want a simple way to control a SONOS device and use the standalone SONOS apps to control the device, then this driver will be for you.

I am looking for some testers to work through the usage scenarios.  Testers will get a free licensed copy of the driver version they test.  Future releases of this driver may or may not be at a small fee.  Ultimately, I lack the infrastructure to charge for this driver, so looking for dealers/developers who may want to take it from here...  If there is no interest, I may just open source it and let anyone take it from here.  It serves my purpose for now.

I'd love to see the source for this to assist with my own driver development learning.  I have no intention of competing with anyone or even offering drivers for sale.  It's primarily a hobby for me to tweak my system to my needs and then offer up my mods as open source for others.  Would you be interested in sharing the source for what you have?  I have no knowledge of what is coming with the EV driver, but I'd love to take a stab at seeing if we could use your driver in tandem with the EV driver for added bennies - either way, more of a research project for me.

Ok, driver is finished and in testing.  In order to test, pm me your main controller MAC address and I will get you a licensed and encrypted version of the driver.  I have inputs and outputs wired to this as well as ability for it to be a room audio endpoint with full volume control as well.

This is a one way, direct control driver for SONOS players.  It is not an interface for SONOS, just basic controls.  It will work along side EV or any other full featured SONOS driver and not meant as a replacement.

So if you want to test the driver, let me know.

Archived