C4 Forums | Control4

Will this work

Would there be any issue with the following scenario?

Equipment room with 2 HC300 one for the family room and one for master bedroom

HC hooked to onkyo 605 for family room, sending component and driving 5.1 speaker set up

Other HC hooked to Onkyo 505 for bedroom sending component and analog audio to plasma TV

One Sony 777 hooked to Family room 605 and controlled by it's HC

Can I just run the component and digital out from the 777 to a component/audio splitter then take the two outputs and connect one to each of the receivers. Then in composer, since the splitter doesn't use any kind of driver just set the output 1 (component) connection to both receivers? Would C4 let me control it from both locations? If yes how would it handle conflicts between the two locations?

A side question. Would the Onkyo 505 output analog(R/L rca outs) to my plasma in the master bedroom if the receiver is fed the digital audio from the splitter?

not sure about the audio question but you may have to build a "fake" a/v switcher in composer to do what you want. It's been awhile since I've gotten to do anything out of the ordinary like that, but I have shared a 777 between multiple rooms, just can't remember what I did programming wise.

sir, it's called trial and error....Man I do this kind of stuff all the time....just see what happens and let us know!! I have a similar setup and would like to know what you find out....

Been there done that. Like I said I'm waiting on the other equipment I ordered from my dealer. On 2 months now. I'd rather not buy a $100 splitter if someone knows this won't work.

str1dlr - you can take one component out and digital out of the 777 and put it into TWO receivers... Composer will let you do that WITHOUT using an audio switch / proxy. It will allow you to do multiple bindings on anything that can be easily split (like Composite etc...)... I do NOT think Composer will let you put TWO HDMI's into the same port of a device though (as that would be impossible without some sort of external hardware).

This should work like that - but JBM is right - it "MIGHT" require a proxy (aka dummy driver) for the Component feed out - even though it doesn't have any control - the system may need to see it. I haven't tried doing multiple bindings to a Component feed before, just analog audio.

As for the audio question - that's a question for Onkyo - but... MOST receivers will NOT do this... some on the "high" end will... dunno if that helps out at all though.

str1dlr - you can take one component out and digital out of the 777 and put it into TWO receivers... Composer will let you do that WITHOUT using an audio switch / proxy. It will allow you to do multiple bindings on anything that can be easily split (like Composite etc...)... I do NOT think Composer will let you put TWO HDMI's into the same port of a device though (as that would be impossible without some sort of external hardware).

This should work like that - but JBM is right - it "MIGHT" require a proxy (aka dummy driver) for the Component feed out - even though it doesn't have any control - the system may need to see it. I haven't tried doing multiple bindings to a Component feed before, just analog audio.

As for the audio question - that's a question for Onkyo - but... MOST receivers will NOT do this... some on the "high" end will... dunno if that helps out at all though.

Thanks for the info Slemay. I don't use HDMI for anything at this time. As for the audio do you know if the 777 will send a analog and a digital audio out at the same time or does it disable analog if digital is plugged in? If not how would you recommend handling of this?

It will do analog and digital at the same time. I've yet to come across a player that won't

I'm pretty sure that composer won't let you do multiple Component bindings on the 777, again I don't have the project in front of me to test it on, but building a fake A/V switch is a piece of cake.

I tried it in Composer but I don't have the equipment yet and it let me bind component (output1) to two different receivers. I couldn't test anything but it did keep the bindings. So it sounds like I can buy a component splitter and just run the digital audio and analog audio directly to their respective receivers.

• 5 months later...

this is wild Im trying to do essentially the same thing with HDMI. Denon 3806 to Optoma PJ and Vizio LCD. The kicker is the HDMI run is about 50ft. found this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4802&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

which looks alot cheaper then upgrading to a 4380CI and can handle up to 130ft. Just trying to figure out how to IR control it from the HTC though :/

Archived