C4 Forums | Control4

Windows8 Network Share for Plex Driver

Hey guys,
So I have read the 50 other older threads about trying to connect in network shares and it being a PIA, with most people saying "Just buy a NAS". Unfortunately, a NAS is not an option. 

In this instance, I have windows 8 Pro running in a server chassis with a 10 drive backplane and an LSI Mega Raid running my 16TB of HD content. I am trying to get Control4 to join to a folder that is set as a network share, and is wide open on my network.

I am not an end user when it comes to PC's. I have dozens of Microsoft certs under my belt and have been in IT for years. 

The real question is why the hell did I use Windows 8? I was moving at the time, and wanted it set up as dual purpose. In retrospect I should have just added another server box, but I didn't. This box is also off domain. I run a domain in my house, but this box is just under the standard "WORKGROUP". The user account as well is no longer linked to LIVE for toubleshooting. It is just a local user.

I have tried disabling SM2/3, as well as NTLM settings and encryption.

Password protected file sharing is disabled. "Everyone" group has permission to the share, and is also set as owner. 
Guest access is enabled.

I can't figure this out for the life of me. Every other device/machine I own can connect to this share just fine. C4 can not. 

Is there any sort of log, or way of seeing what C4 is having an issue with?? I find this so frustrating that it is either connected or not, and there is little do no diagnostic information. Unfortunately, this is the only method for me to be able to use Alex's amazing (that is not sarcasm, I really appreciate everything he does and I know this has nothing to do with his set up) driver!

At this point, it is literally infuriating. I am worried that if I ditch Windows8 and install Server 2012 Standard I am just going to run in to the same issue. Eventually I will be connecting my Dell MD1000 with 32TB of storage and I want to ensure that this will still work. A NAS solution is not a solution at all for me, unfortunately. 

BTW, no antispam/antivirus/firewalls/virus protection/etc. are enabled. 

Any help on where I can get troubleshooting info or log info would be huge!

Jamie

• 1 month later...

hrmmm...
So it seems like A LOT of people have this issue. And it seems like everyone's answer is to just go get a NAS....

I have been trying to figure this out for MONTHS and there is nothing I can do to get Windows 8 file share to work inside of C4.

I am now at the point where I have DFS enabled on my Windows 2008R2 server and am attempting to get that to work with C4.... still... no.

C4 needs to have some SERIOUS work on their network file shares. I can't get the plex driver working because of this one issue.

I think my only solution is to ditch Win8, which is pathetic that that is the only way to get this working.
What is super frustrating is that the folder comes up in the network search. I can browse it, see all subfolders. Yet.... I can't connect. And there is never any actual error message other than just "Can't connect". Even the time out on the error is random at best.

C4 needs to have some SERIOUS work on their network file shares. I can't get the plex driver working because of this one issue.

I think my only solution is to ditch Win8, which is pathetic that that is the only way to get this working.

What is super frustrating is that the folder comes up in the network search. I can browse it, see all subfolders. Yet.... I can't connect. And there is never any actual error message other than just "Can't connect". Even the time out on the error is random at best.

I am sorry but it does work. Please try again

I finally got it to work with DFS and using my server as opposed to the windows 8 box. 

I saw the KB article before, and have done all of those, still nothing unfortunately. I do appreciate the idea though.

I like though, how in the article, they don't just copy and paste teh solutions. They are just "Hey, try this!... maybe? I dunno... we only partially read it". and you have to scan through 50 posts of possibilities. :)

I finally have the movies in C4's media, now I just need to figureout how to get them to show in Navigators. I thought they would just auto show.... nope :) 

I like though, how in the article, they don't just copy and paste teh solutions. They are just "Hey, try this!... maybe? I dunno... we only partially read it". and you have to scan through 50 posts of possibilities. :)

What the living hell are you talking about?

50 posts was an exaggeration as I was joking around about C4 tech articles. The one thread is 25, the other is 9, the other is 6. So more accurately; 40 posts. I apologize for embellishing by 10 posts. 

My point is that C4 doesn't post the actual solution they link to a third party site that could go down at any time and you still have to sort through and read all of the posts to see the outcome. (often the solution is not the 2nd post, or there are corrections as you read through. The posts aren't always "Awesome, it worked".

So even if the solution is in the 2nd post, you don't know for 100% that is the solution till the end. I am comparing it to the IT industry where this is NOT the norm. Usually the solution is re-posted and the reference is linked only as a reference. 

I find it lazy at best. 

Either way, this did not work with windows 8 and I was just making a remark on C4 articles. You seem offended. Did you write the C4 article?

There are NO posts on KB articles

Maybe we are talking past each other

GO to the Knowlege base, Search article 130

Again there are not 25, 6 or 9 posts. So you did not exaggerate. You just did not go to the knowledge base. Try again.

And to answer your question, no i did not write the C4 article. But I did look it up and read it. DID YOU?

When I read your last post I get the feeling you have never been on the Control4 Knowledge Base. Have You?

Lol... That KB article has a links to 2 forum posts with Asus and 1 with Windows. 

It doesn't tell you exactly how to fix it, it gives you 3 url's. Do you want a screenshot?

It says to remove windows live essentials, then gives you the URL to where it was tried and why. 

Then it talks about 2 registry edits and sends you to the Asus help forum for the exact keys. 

Jesus man, did someone crap in your cornflakes? I love how some of you guys just instantly assume the other is a moron and has no idea what they are taking about. It is not hard to read a damn KB article. I spent a long time on the issue, searched everywhere including the KB and documentation on the dealer site. 

I said thank you for the help and appreciated it. I just made a joke about the C4 articles in the KB. Take it for what it was, a damn joke. 

Jesus, way to over react. 

Archived