C4 Forums | Control4

The Never Ending Saga....

I went to turn on the TV tonight and noticed the Control4 Control Menu that comes up on my TV was all blanked out except for the "Info" button. Checked the remotes and the 10.5" touch screen and same issue. So, I rebooted the system, however, the 10.5" touch screen keeps disconnecting and freezing up from the media controller. I've reset the 10.5" touch screen several times and get the same response (works briefly and then freezes up and disconnects). Also, I went upstairs to the master bedroom and turned on the TV there and when I selected DVD on the Control4 menu, it blanked out except for the "Info" button. I went to the component rack upstairs and reset the Home Theater Controller, this corrected the problem briefly, however, when I turned the TV off and turned it back on I got the same problem.

Oh and one other thing, I've noticed that my wireless handheld remotes are only working intermittently (approx. every 30 seconds) and then they freeze up. For instance, if I have the Control4 menu up on my TV and I am cycling through the options the remote stops working for approx. 30 seconds then starts working again for about 30 seconds and then stops working. This is really getting frustrating... What is going on here? Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My dealer still hasn't returned my calls or emails concerning the failed multi-channel amplifier.

Scott

Sounds like your controller is offline... reboot the controller that has the DIRECTOR service on it. Either that - your your network itself is down (switch most likely - whatever connects all the equipment together). But I'd start with rebooting the master controller first.

Could this be something with Verizon FiOS (Internet)? I've rebooted the system til I'm blue in the face (actually red) and it stays connected for a little bit and then everything freezes up or disconnects. When I got up this morning, I clicked on the TV and noticed that the hand held Control4 controller would only work intermittently (approx. every 30 seconds) and then they freeze up. For instance, if I have the Control4 menu up on my TV and I am cycling through the options the remote stops working for approx. 30 seconds then starts working again for about 30 seconds and then stops working. This is really getting frustrating.

Also, my 10.5" touchsreeen is blanked out only displaying "No boot device present. Halting."

I did finally get a hold of my installer/dealer (he was on vacation) this morning. He told me that he no longer does residential work, only commercial now. But he would contact Control4 and located another Control4 installer/dealer in the area to addess the problems. :o

Anyone know a good installer/dealer near Annapolis, MD I can use to fix this mess????

Scott

Scott,

I can highly recommend Myer-Emco. They're DC-based, but I know they've done systems in the Annapolis area.

They have an excellent custom install/home automation group that I have worked with on my C4 system since day one. I've been a customer for over 15 years and will not buy from anyone else. (Except for one Tivo unit I grabbed at a big box store because ME was out of them and my cable box had died and the Superbowl was close.)

Not shilling, just praising.

Scott,

I can highly recommend Myer-Emco. They're DC-based, but I know they've done systems in the Annapolis area.

They have an excellent custom install/home automation group that I have worked with on my C4 system since day one. I've been a customer for over 15 years and will not buy from anyone else. (Except for one Tivo unit I grabbed at a big box store because ME was out of them and my cable box had died and the Superbowl was close.)

Not shilling, just praising.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give them a call.

• 8 months later...

They came out and serviced all the prior issues I had and the new ones I was experiencing. Where I thought the prior issues would be covered under C4 warranty since I've been having problems with mini touch screens, HTC, etc... since day one of the installation, I get a bill from the new company for $1,725.00... most being labor. I'm fighting this one!!! C4 should be covering this under warranty since it was an ongoing problem with the network. Plus the HTC had to be repaired twice (once by the previous installer and once by the new company). More to come.

You can't expect control4 to fix/pay for the network issues, that's the responsibility of the dealer to ensure. Control4 doesnt sell Cat5 cable and Routers/Switches/Modems etc. Now if you had *hardware* issues with the touchpanel or HTC or something like that, then the dealer should have covered it for you under warranty (they should get compensated back from C4 directly).

Did you not know before hand how much they would charge for labor and how long it was going to take before you got the bill? Ouch.

You can't expect control4 to fix/pay for the network issues, that's the responsibility of the dealer to ensure. Control4 doesnt sell Cat5 cable and Routers/Switches/Modems etc. Now if you had *hardware* issues with the touchpanel or HTC or something like that, then the dealer should have covered it for you under warranty (they should get compensated back from C4 directly).

Did you not know before hand how much they would charge for labor and how long it was going to take before you got the bill? Ouch.

I was under the opinion from the second dealer that the upstairs problems would be a warranty repair since this has been an ongoing issue since day one. Since the original dealer was out of residential installation and C4 recommended the new dealer I was told they would handle all current issues and maintenance. I knew I was going to have to cover my V1 amp replacement since the V1s had a problem with the power supply and C4 had an exchange program for those. I don't mind covering that plus the labor for the amp. However, the 10.5" I had repaired once and HTC repaired twice, once in 4/07 (with the HTC) after 6 months or more of telephone/email troubleshooting these problems and again in 2008 by the new dealer. For the MTS that kept dying, I was told to reboot the system by the original dealer everytime it went out. The routers, switches, etc... were all purchased and installed by the C4 installer. When I spend tens of thousands of dollars for a control system, I expect it to be properly installed, programmed and work, not to have to pay for reprogramming and repairs that I've been experiencing since the initial installation.

On your qestion concerning labor... No, didn't and when I didn't get a bill, I thought it was submitted by the dealer through C4 for compensation.

Archived