C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos V8 Driver for Connect

troyfrezze

With Sonos EV Drivers now available within the drivers area, I'm curious about adding Sonos to my current system. I'd just be adding the Sonos Connect to my current matrix but looking at the driver options I'm not certain which one acts as the driver for the device.

Based on EV's site they have the older 7 series and the newer 8 series. Looks like most everything in the driver database is 8 now and from what I understand I would install the service for each thing I desire such as Beats Music 8.0.0 or Calm Radio 8.0.0, etc. But what about the primary device?

The only thing I see that seems like it might be it is the Network 8.0.0 which is billed as an A/V Switch, but when looking at the connections it doesn't appear to be it.

Does anyone know the driver name I need to find, or have the supporting documentation you can shoot me?

Hey thecodeman, I should be able to help.

When I was doing the online search in composer for the new driver, there are two that seem to pop up. One just says "Network 8.0.0" from SONOS (author) and the other for some reason came up "Network - FREE" which was actually the 7.5.5 driver.

The primary component for being able to use groupable zones, matrix ability, and the all around just better way to set it up is to use the "Network 8.0.0" A/V Switch driver from SONOS in composer.

Obviously, the SONOS system needs to be set up and updated with the normal sonos app prior to doing this.

Add in the driver for the  "Network 8.0.0" into whatever room.
Then, you need to find the driver for the actual component. There are two (if you want to use an input for the matrix as well). I personally feel you are better off setting it up now even if you are using it immediately. 

The two drivers are : "ZonePlayer 8.0.0" from author SONOS as a media service (don't use the ipod one).
and "Line in (Global) 8.0.0" from sonos as A/V Switch. Add both of these to the room where you will have the SONOS playing. 

The firs tstep the guide tells you is to set up the names at this point. Just stops you from having to rebuild the sonos network if it doesn't update later. I use identical naming as the actual SONOS zone in the SONOS app.

There aren't as many setting in the new 8.0.0 so basically all I did was made sure SONOS was on the same network and added in my C4 controller MAC. Then i went to the "Actions" tab and pressed "Request settings from zoneplayers".
I then went back to the properties tab and it had my SONOS zone already set in as "Primary" and set it was set up. 
For the automatic updates, everyone suggested to set this to on with this driver.

Now, go to the zoneplayer driver that you set up. In the main proiperties, you don't really need to do anything but turn on automatic updates, make sure your controller's mac is in there, and see what is selected for "Zoneplayer name". To change this, if it is the wrong SONOS piece, click on actions and then click on "Select next zoneplayer". Keep doing this till the correct zone shows up. 

Then, do the same for the line in driver. 

Then, you just need to set up your connections. Depends on your set up for how you will do this, but I use the matrix for ease. Made my source connections to the line in driver, then use the line in driver to the matrix (this is automatic) then use the source out to the audio endpoint for the room (most important).

Now, for your music services, you need to add each one again. You will see them all in there under their names. Like "InTune 8.0.0", or "Google Play Music 8.0.0". These just worked for me. My phone's C4 App had me authorize it, but that is really all I did. I was told you have to go to the NETWORK driver, under actions, and select to push to these services but I didn't have to. It just worked. 

Sorry if I over-explained. I am sure you have the skill set that most of this is redundant but figured it might be able to help someone else as well if they are less familiar with C4 :) 

Let me know if you have any other questions or PM me your email and I can send you the old documentation. It is a bit different now, but fundamentally the same. 

Archived