C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 and DAAP Servers

bog

What's the likelihood of Control4 working as a DAAP client (like Roku's Soundbridge)?

DAAP is the Digital Audio Access Protocol used by iTunes for sharing music. DAAP servers are included with various network storage devices (like Synology and Buffalo Technology) and open source projects like Firefly Media Server.

It would also be cool to see Control4 work as a DPAP (digital photo access protocol) client to view photos.

Is Control4 modular enough to allow third-parties to develop this client support via an SDK or plug-in architecture?

• 11 months later...

I'd would also like to know this. I run a full C4 system for whole home audio distribution, but have found the music limitations frustrating. My house runs macs, not PCs (except the one PC for the composer software)...so the lack of C4 software is a real negative. We also all use iTunes and iPods, so we wanted a music server that could cope with that. I've implemented a separate music server (separate from the C4 system) based on Ubuntu and firefly's DAAP server software. This server pops up in iTunes as a "shared library" and we can stream all the music on it to any computer running iTunes (PC or Mac). It would be beyond great if the C4 system could simply access that DAAP stream as well. I don't think this would be too difficult (I understand that DAAP is simply serving up XML), but am no developer myself. Wether we all want to admit it or not, iTunes is one of the most popular and ubiquitous music players out there (not to mention the "cool factor"), so there is no reason a home automation company should not include support for it. At the very least, C4 should include something like DAAP support.

Just think of how impressive it would be to say that the Control4 system can not only stream music from its internal hard drive (or a NAS it scans) to any computer on the same network running iTunes, but can also see and play ALL music (that includes DRM protected music) in the shared iTunes libraries of any computer connected on the same network. All of this can be a reality with the implementation of one protocol: DAAP.

Especially with the addition of an iPod touch / iPhone app to control the C4 system I just saw, DAAP seems like a no brainer to me.

Archived