C4 Forums | Control4

Pre-Wiring New Construction

blackfiveo1

Typically, your best bet is still solid for in-walls, stranded for patch cables.

Stranded is a *lot* harder to terminate properly, IMHO.  Even with the right crimp ends, it's easier to make bad ends, vs. solid.  Punchdowns are very easy to punch properly, and since they're attached to the wall, they have no strain.

I would not even think of going with anything other than stranded (purchased good quality with molded endcaps) patch cables and a punchdown for your solid in-wall wiring.  Easier all around.  If you need to reuse something, you just swap the patch cable, which if it goes bad, you throw out and get another.

There's a reason it's done that way in "real" IT.  It's the most cost-effective way to do it, even if there's more up-front cost for solid wire and punchdowns.

One last benefit: do it right, it's a positive for the home.  Do it wrong, it looks like an unmaintainable mess to the next potential homeowner.

RyanE

P.S.  I'm not an IT guy, but I play one at home, and wired all the electrical (low and high-voltage) in my last 2 houses.

Cat 6 or Cat 6a-

Solid or stranded.

I dont think I am going to use a patch down in my closet, I think i am going to run the wires straight into my switch.

or is this just a preference to the installer/pre-wire person?

Run Cat6A STP into a grounded patch like my rack. Eliminates most interference and signal degradation. It took about 3-5 mins longer per termination once my dealer got use to the shielding. It's not a big deal. Also drop a 5-6 stranded 10G fibre at each location if you plan to stay for 5-10 years. It only cost me $80/run 4 years ago.

post-125439-0-35548800-1416370879_thumb.

Archived