C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Dimmer reliability Q

I'd be interested to hear from home owners on how your C4 dimmers are holding up over time.

Yesterday we had a rather nasty storm here, lost power twice momentarily according to my UPS logs. I have 44 Lightolier Compose PLC dimmers and switches and 1 C4 dimmer in my house. 3 PLC dimmers on the same circuit as the C4 dimmer, but different gang box. That circuit does not pass through the Compose firewall. The C4 dimmer got fried at some point during the storm, it went with a loud pop. LEDs are off and a small amount of current is passing through (light dimmed at lowest level). None of the PLC dimmers had a prob, including the ones in the same circuit.

I'm just curious if you've seen anything similar on your C4 dimmer setups. The Compose system has its own set of probs, such as master keypads losing all settings when power is cut etc but I was surprised to see a ~2month old dimmer go like that.

Only RMA'd dimmers / switches were out of the box problems... we're one of the first dealers with Control4 - and we've had NONE (0) go bad after they were deployed.

[Knock on wood...] :)

same here, I have probably been through every scenario trying to torture test these dimmers...all have done very well...all my issues were out of the box stuff as well....I had my doubts at first, but they've turned out to be very good dimmers!

Neil

Hi, I had a very similiar experience. UPS log recorded spike and one of my C4 dimmers stopped working, both leds on, lights stuck at about 1/2 dim. I had to remove the dimmer to get the lights off - raised eyebrows from ludite wife. This is the 2nd dimmer (out of 6) to go in less than a year.

I replaced 2 or 3 out of 50+ dimmers in my house, but they were some of the earlier dimmers, like Shawn is talking about.

None (that I could tell) were due to power quality issues, they were just 'infant death' type issues.

Most reliability issues have pretty much gone away, RMA rates on the dimmers are very low.

RyanE

Archived