C4 Forums | Control4

Getting all light control on all navigators

This may seem like a stupid question but how do you get all the lights in the house to show up on all instances of navigator? I have some can lights on a C4 dimmer in the living room and they show up in the living room's navigator but if I go to the TS in the kitchen they don't show up. The only way I can get to the controls is to change the room on the TS.

A few workarounds in the meantime that might help you . . .

You could create an MTS custom button for them that appears in the kitchen and which offers either individual control of 6 lights or else maybe 5 different scenes and an OFF button.

Alternatively, lighting scenes will show up on the MTS from any room that contains at least one of the included lights. You could create a bunch of living room light scenes that include one kitchen light as well, perhaps a kitchen light that is normally off. You just include that kitchen light set to 0 and the scene will show up in your kitchen MTS.

Hope one of those is useful to you!

--Jason

i have done this by using proxy "dummy" lights I guess is what you would call them...I have no lights physically in my kitchen, but have control over my living room lights from the mts in the kitchen...I can post the programming/bindings if ya'll want..

i have done this by using proxy "dummy" lights I guess is what you would call them...I have no lights physically in my kitchen, but have control over my living room lights from the mts in the kitchen...I can post the programming/bindings if ya'll want..

Interesting . . . so you can have an additional dummy light without having to have another dimmer? Essentially the same dimmer would show up in 2 places? I'd be interested in seeing how that works, can you post?

Another option which comes to mind is to create rooms for lighting which contain, for example, all the lights on a floor. You'd need to switch out of that room to change media, but you could at least access all the lights in one places.

I've been toying with doing this for at least the lights that are in non-media zones, for example foyer and mudroom, which right now are their own rooms but probably make more sense to include in either a catch-all room or in an adjacent room with media (the distinction being that you can only have one media zone in a C4 room, so you would not want to combine 2 different rooms that each have their own zone.

--Jason

JBS - he's not putting TWO dimmers in the same dimmer itself - he's using two dimmers and putting them into a LIGHT SCENE... we do that currently too... we'll tell the customer what we're doing - so they don't think we broke it - but the benefit is you take a lighting scene and can now have it show up in any room you want by doing this.

Punkrock - it's not in the next release - no. I'm not sure where it sits on "production" of being put into a future upgrade.

actually that's not what I'm doing...

This only really works if you have a wireless switch or dimmer in your project...I add a few "dummy" outlet lights to rooms that have touchscreens or gui or whatever....I bind the "dummy" outlet light to the same wireless output binding as the light I want to control...

So, in the living room I have a outlet switch with 2 tall lampost style lamps

I also have 2 regular table lamps on a wireless outlet dimmer

In the kitchen, I want to be able to control those lights without switching to living room..

So I add "outlet lights" to the kitchen and bind them to each output as the light I want to control.

Outlet light 1 is my lampost 1

Outlet light 2 is my second lampost

Outlet light 3 is my table lamp...etc

These outlet lights don't exist, but after you rename them to exactly what they are called in the living room, composer doesn't know the difference because it will let you add more than one "light" to each outlet, even though it's technically not there..check the pics....and note, you can't do this with wall dimmers and switches, this is a limited workaround because of the need of outlet dimmers or switches...This only allows the outlet lights you have in one room to show in another...maybe it's lame but it does work..

Note: this also allows you to "see" the phantom lights in the regular lighting menu as opposed to the "lighting scenes" which I think someone else was saying..This shows up the same as any other real light in a project.

Archived