C4 Forums | Control4

Problem Transferring Music to USB Hard Drive

So, I've got a WD 320GB USB hard drive attached to an hc-300. The hard drive has about 24K songs on it which equates to around 120-150GB. From within composer HE, I try to add music to the hard drive. I go to the media tab, select add, and then browse for a music folder on my hard drive that is attached to my pc (running vista). After selecting the music and it would appear that the transfer is about to start, an error message pops up stating that I need more space to complete the action. I can probably post an image of the message when I get home. Has anybody gotten this error message before and know how to fix? It's a royal pain to have to unplug the hard drive attached to the hc-300, connect it to my pc, transfer the music, and then re-attach the hard drive to the hc-300.

thanks in advance,

tum

This is a know problem with vista, it happens with alot more programs than just composer...Try getting your hands on an xp machine or.....Stay tuned, I will try and dig up some possible fixes for your situation.

The work around is to copy the music DIRECTLY to the hard drive (plus the USB into your computer) - then re-attach it to the HC-300 - and from within Composer select SCAN.

The problem has to do with the new updated SAMBA driver in Vista has problems with Linux. Dunno who is going to fix it (Linux or Microsoft) - but you can NOT add music via Composer to a USB attached hard drive. You CAN scan it, however!

it should not give the same result from a usb drive using xp....In "My Network Places" you should see your contoller..

navigate to media, then usb and find the c4 music folder...drag you media straight to it and then scan...it should work with xp...mine does.let me know..

I am working on the same problem and I have made some progress...

The WD 320GB hard drive is formatted in NTFS format (or almost any external) from the factory. Reformatting the hard drive with a third party application to a FAT32 format will allow the HC to write via the usb connection, then you and customers can add music via composer media edition, the way its supposed to work!

I am not 100% sure but the problem is the NTFS format and the HC trying to write to it, the HC300 can read NTFS structure but not handle it correctly to write to it; but it can handle and write to the older FAT32 format.

Good luck

Matt

My dealer told me to have my hard drive formatted in fat32 so it is.

So I transferred one album (8 mile) from a laptop running xp with composer media edition. I first hit the 'add' button within media edition. This transferred the music over. I then tried to find the music with no luck. I then tried scanning and media edition told me that there were no new music files. I then navigated to the usb hard drive through my network places and saw where media edition put 8 mile. It was on the usb drive but not in the folder where my mp3's are. So, I then moved 8 mile into the mp3 folder and then hit scan again. This time it found 8 mile along with another 157 songs that I had deleted from the media library only. In the end, it worked, but not very well in the sense that I then had to go back and delete all of the songs that it had added back into the database and the fact that it took at least an hour and a half to get this done. Along the way, director stopped responding to commands and it took awhile to come back online. grrrr

thanks to everyone for providing help.

tum

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same type of issues.

I have been trying to clean up the mp3s I listen to. I have deleted a bunch of songs using ME (even using delete from network drive) but still the songs are there.

Where does C4 look for its music and when it finds it what does it do with it? What folder is it sitting in?

Also I have tried editing the tags within ME to correct a lot of albums that have "unknown" with the correct info but even when I back up project the next time I come into ME it is "unknown"

Very frustrating piece of software to work with.

Any help would be appreciated - is there a step by step guide to adding, editing, deleting music for this system?

I added ONE mp3 to my usb attached hard drive last night by dropping it into the media folder from an xp laptop. after scanning within composer he, composer found 115 new songs---probably music that I had been deleting from both the media list AND the hard drive itself. I agree that the media organization of the software doesn't quite work right or I'm just doing something wrong. I think we'll get relief when the software gets updated to 1.6.

tum

Dunno about that - but I know we've got customers purchasing the Easy Importer software ($29.95) that have had good success importing music onto USB hard drives. HC-500's and HC-1000's come with Easy Importer for free... but HC-300's, MC and HTC users must purchase it for $29.95... which simple covers the cost of the "commercial" LAME encoder / MP3 license.

I can't say for sure it'll solve your problems, but I've got a handful of customers with USB hard drives attached to HC-300's and HTC's thare are using this software with no problems at all. Just a thought...

Oh... and FYI... Easy Importer will EVENTUALLY (dunno how long... could be months or even years) replace Composer ME all together for media management. Right now it works in conjunction with Composer ME.

slemay - will easy importer transfer already ripped mp3 and transfer them to the usb attached hard drive? Or will it only rip mp3's from cds and then transfer the mp3's to the hard drive?

thx,

tum

I believe "THIS" version only rips and transfers...

But the folder path that it dumps to is:

\\[device ip #]\media\usb\

Whereas on a MC or HC-500/HC-1000 it would be in \\[device ip #]\media\audio\music

How can I clear all songs and restart with this an HTC 300?

When the software scan where on the PV, storage devices does it go looking? Can you set this somewhere so it will only look in one folder? Also where does the actually info get stored (folder) once it has been scanned?

Is there anything currently in the library that Control4 sees? If so - just delete.

As for the hard drive - simple: format it using a FAT32 program.

Then plug it back in and try again. Drop your songs onto the root of the drive - remember MP3's only. So easiest thing, if they're already ripped:

Plug the drive into your computer - format it as a FAT32 drive. Copy all your MP3's to the ROOT of that drive (they can be in folders like ARTIST\ALBUM\song etc...). Re-connect it to the HC-300 - and open Composer ME and click SCAN.

I think formatting my hard drive may be a bit extreme - it does not just contain mp3s - but if I am hearing you clearly - the HTC300 look at the entire hard drive (maybe all network drives) for mp3s when you hit scan - is this true??? Can I not just dedicate a folder to the C4 system as opposed to the entire drive?

• 4 weeks later...

It is FAT 32.

The dealer was here and set the folder to d:audio files

However now when I scan there are no songs to be scanned although the folder has hundreds of mp3s. The dealer is impossible to get any help from - is there a way to get the software so I can just fix this myself ??? There has to be a copy floating about out there ....

I am really thinking of trading this system in - is there a comparable system that would also allow for the transfer of high def video as well?

not at that price point... as for software - you can purchase Composer HE for $199 - any software you find "floating" out there is pirated, and thus illegal. I would suggest trying to find another dealer if your current dealer is not helping you out. It's also possible that the external USB drive you are using is not up to speed... we have seen some drives out there that just don't work, or work very poorly.

• 3 years later...

Archived