C4 Forums | Control4

Composer Pro Software

K&J

So Joe brought up one other issue that's worth discussing: What are users supposed to do with their old equipment?

For instance, I have a Media Controller, an original HTC, and a v1 touchscreen that I've had for two years. I'd like to upgrade many of those at some point ...maybe this summer. But what do the dealers suggest I do with my used equipment? How would dealers (or C4) propose that second hand market for equipment function? Who would install it?

I don't think its realistic to suggest that users just throw them out -- that's a little too self-serving in my opinion. Its almost as bad to suggest that dealers maintain the exclusive right to buy back their equipment at whatever price they deem appropriate -- imagine what would happen if you were legally bound to sell your old car back to the dealer you bought it from. Also, we recently saw Tweeter deal with this by selling equipment directly to the public at fire sale prices, so clearly there's a precedent for dealers offloading their old stuff. Are most dealers really just installing this stuff in the homes of friends and family?

I think C4 should help dealers address this question. There could and should be a legitimate "used" market for these systems. A used system with a media controller and other v1 hardware would be great for a lot of entry level users that cant afford a new system. I'd bet a lot of the "piracy" that many of the more straight-talking dealers keep mentioning are a direct result of dysfunctional aftermarket for these products.

This brings a Very Valid Question and I appreciate you bringing this up..

Unfortunately I personally do not have the answer at this time..

I am going to bring this up in the C4 Dealer Forum..

Thanks Again

Jeff

dysfunctional aftermarket, couldn't have been said any better. i have been working on an idea. it will take a network of current dealers. what we do with used, or equipment from an upgrade is to offer a sale at our store, the customer gets to pick the price and keep all the money. to me this is the customers $ anyway. then we email these sales to potential clients and clients with small systems, and budgets. we get the $ off the install and look good for finding more gear for a client, or an inexpensive way for a potential client to get a taste. on sale items we even cut down the cost of install because of the lack of warranty if needed.

this is a good point, i will call otto tom. at c4 to see if the solution i have in mind will work. my idea is that a customer who wants to sell old equipment call their dealer, then the dealer put's it on ebay with the note that it is used and must be installed by a c4 dealer and will be shipped to an autorized c4 dealer for installation. then we contact the nearest "good dealer" in that area to set up all the rest. maybe a good way to expose dealers to a whole new way to market!

Archived