C4 Forums | Control4

Consolidate media services

When our dealer set up our system earlier this year, we had two audio zones with in ceiling speakers and a 4 zone matrix amp and a sonos connect as a source as well as audio out from the HC-800 and AirPlay. Because there is tunein and rhapsody on both the HC-800 and sonos connect, there are two icons for each of those services under listen in those rooms. Is there a way to make this one and auto select an available source? I know you can do this with multiple sonos connects. Also, is there a way to hide the sources from the sonos if say it is in use in another room so it can't be changed, only added to what's playing?

You can certainly hide one or the other Rhapsody - however that will disable the complete ability of using that rhapsody. If you'd prefer just using one icon each, I'd add TuneIn via Sonos, remove the HC800 feed(s) and add Connects to suit.

No you can't hide the potetnial source - but the above should mitigate the problem - multiple connects can very much show up with only one 'cloud' driver and select multiple 'feeds' to the amplifier as you can with controller feeds.

Do make sure you get updated to the latest software version though - this only works cleanly from 2.7 up.

The problem (in part) you have is having the rather small 4 zone amplifier - to be precise the limited number of sources it can handle by itself (4),

Ok, not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but it gives me ideas for sure. As we grow the system, I will move towards sonos connects only and remove the HC feeds. We are on 2.7, so we should be good there.

I'm thinking as we need more sources, which will be soon as we're going to add video to the project, I will try to find a 16x16 audio matrix as that has room for expandability - I would've done that initially with a 4 zone power amp, but I didn't realize that was an option and my dealer didn't clue me in. But then the question is what happens when I have more than 16 sources :)

Ok, not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but it gives me ideas for sure. As we grow the system, I will move towards sonos connects only and remove the HC feeds. We are on 2.7, so we should be good there.

I'm thinking as we need more sources, which will be soon as we're going to add video to the project, I will try to find a 16x16 audio matrix as that has room for expandability - I would've done that initially with a 4 zone power amp, but I didn't realize that was an option and my dealer didn't clue me in. But then the question is what happens when I have more than 16 sources :)

a 16x16 would alleviate this. You could at that point take Rhapsody off of the Sonos, use the built in TuneIn and Rhaps (there's two audio outs on the HC800, you could alkso take a DAC to the digital coax out and create a third), then have one or however many Sonos units you want to feed 'other' services.

If you believe 16 may not be enough, there's bigger audio matrix switches out there too...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived