C4 Forums | Control4

Music on Hard Drive

I cannot access the music stored in an external hard drive attached to my HC300s. The HC300 in my apartment has the .438 update while the HC300 in my second home has the previous version (.3something).

I tried to scan the music stored in a Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 320GB, USB 2.0 hard drive, a Western Digital My Passport Essential 160GB, USB 2.0 portable drive and an Acomdata E5 160GB, USB 2.0 drive and the controller stops working and have to be rebooted.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

TIA. Nick

My dealer told me that he updated it to the latest version (.44 something). The info about section tells me I have version .43 something. What is the latest version and how could I found out if I have it?

• 4 weeks later...

After spending several hundred dollars in new hard drives, long distance telephone calls to C4 tech line (who were incapable of providing assistance) and many hours trouble shooting, I finally bumped into a C4 dealer willing to share his wisdom. These are the instructions to scan music on a hard drive attached to the HC 300 via the USB port with Composer Home Edition:

1. Turn on Composer HE and connect to the HC 300.

2. Select Media.

3. Select the hard drive to be scanned.

4. Select "scan" on the upper right hand corner.

5. The Composer software will tell you that it is "preparing to scan...".

6. Composer will later disconnect; circle in the lower right hand side of the screen will change from green to red. DO NOT PANIC. Everything is under control.

7. If you have many files with music, go take a walk, eat something, shower, watch TV, play tennis, etc.

8. From time to time check the Composer to see if it reconnected to the HC 300; circle on the lower hand side is green.

9. Organize the music and enjoy it.

My initial scan of 12,000 songs took about 1 hour.

Archived