C4 Forums | Control4

?'s about Inherited c4 system

littlefish

Good evening! This is my first post and I didn’t know where it best fit the forum. Now for my story, I recently purchased a house with an older C4 system (believe about 08) controlling audio in 7 zones and video in 8 zones. I had no idea what the system was or how it worked when I purchased the house. It was not the reason we purchased the house. We live in the middle of nowhere 100+ miles from the nearest c4 dealer. The previous owner pulled all his AV inputs and TV’s bar one. Thus, I now have one connected TV and music via iPod on the c4 system. Not great but not bad for someone who only has two TV's anyway. I learned through the forum a dealer would be required to program the system. I waited 30 minutes to speak to the dealer at his place of business who informed me it would be $500 minimum to come out and connect two TV's to the system. It wasn’t just the cost but rather the way he communicated “it is complicated and we will have a good lunch at a nice restaurant nearby (named) on your dime while we are there” that ticked me off. It was not a good way to start my C4 experience. My questions

1. Can the TV's be remotely programed to avoid this dealer?
  2. How well does a PC running media center work with the system? I use it as a DVR.
  3. Can I connect an xbox 360 and have access anywhere there is a TV? I use it as an extender for the PC.
  4. I like to tinker and programed in my younger days. Will composer HE allow me to program the system?
  5. Can I take a C4 tech course and purchase the dealer software? I cannot justify the time or cost to have a jerk come out and work on the system.

Thank you in advance for your response.

1 To some degree at least - possibly all of it. Or use a different local dealer. There is NO code or other block of any sort for any dealer to 'take over' your system from another (or non-existant) dealer.

2 Control over PCs is limited - but there may be something available

3 That ability has little to do with the C4 system as such but depends on your distribution setup. But it is certainly possible, though how well your controllers for games still work will be a bit of an unkown (again, depends on the setup, distances, walls etc)

4 HE will allow you to program a lot of details of the operation of the system. It will NOT allow you to add and remove devices, or make connections (such as where what source is connected, or which TV you have). The details on this are a bit much to answer here.

5 Sure - after you contact the C4 regional Rep, prove you have a solid business plan, likely requiring numerous years of experience if not existing operations in this or a related business. From there it would depend on how saturated the market is - and from there there is a minimum first order to become a dealer, and mandatory training in one of Control4's training centres.

The software will be free after that!

Archived