C4 Forums | Control4

New Control4 Automatic Door Locks

AJF

They've partnered with Black & Decker The solutions will be marketed under the Baldwin, Kwikset, and Weiser Lock brands. :

"Homeowners, through this partnership, will be able to manage and control the ZigBee radio-equipped door locks directly via the Control4 home automation platform."

http://www.cepro.com/article/control4_black_decker_partner_for_residential_access_control/

Great idea! I've never understood why door locks have never even been incorporated into home alarm systems ( All you need is a contact switch in the deadbolt mortise). I have 2 push button motorized Weiser locks and they work great .

Excellent! Sucks they wont be available till 2009. I wonder what kind of price point they will be at.

It does suck but I also respect the fact that they told us up front that it wouldn't be coming out for a while. They haven't always done this in the past (e.g. Rhapsody).

When we showed Rhapsody at shows, it *was* messaged as a 'Technology Preview', without a definite release date.

The fact that people complain that it didn't release immediately is one of the reasons we don't always pre-announce things that we're working on.

Some things just take longer than *everyone* wishes they would, and longer than initially estimated.

RyanE

When we showed Rhapsody at shows, it *was* messaged as a 'Technology Preview', without a definite release date.

The fact that people complain that it didn't release immediately is one of the reasons we don't always pre-announce things that we're working on.

Some things just take longer than *everyone* wishes they would, and longer than initially estimated.

RyanE

...or its just that C4 sometimes would like to pretend that there isn't an end user out there that cares about their product, and they often think that if they tell themselves enough times that communicating to the consumer shouldn't be an issue in a dealer-driven world then everything will be ok.

Nobody will complain if you are straight with them. More people understand technology roadmaps and their typical timetables and delays more than you may think... especially C4's end users which tend to be serial technophiles. Don't fall into the classic "gun-shy burned engineer" trap... i.e. the guy who over-commits, gets burned, and then makes it their life mission never to publicly stretch themselves again.

My only point was that by communicating the Black & Decker thing this early while being honest/conservative about timetables it is possible to have your cake and eat it too. You will build much more buzz and excitement this way than by waiting to announce something out of the blue next August.

All I'm saying is that from time to time, we *do* communicate 'technology preview-type' situations. That said, we don't always release that info, and Control4 does go back and forth between showing and not showing them, and that's entirely up to Control4.

And you're certainly right, *many* end-users do understand technology timetables, but others do not.

I generally think it's great when we can communicate these things, but I don't make these decisions.

:)

RyanE

So why is Control 4 so scared to let us in on when we will have an intercom?

Because the intercom was a feature they thought they'd be able to do early on, but its been much more difficult than they thought. So being a little gun shy in this case is likely justified. Still, nice to see it on the floor at CEDIA to show they hadn't given up.

Archived