C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain Plex Media Server driver

cpotts

Hello, I'm having trouble with the the Chowmain Plex media server driver. The project has the Plex server running on a QNAP TS-453 Pro (ver 4.2.2). There appears to be no issues with TVs and Apple devices working with the Plex Server. The Plex driver is running on a HC800 (ver 2.9). I configured the driver and it appears that the import is not working. When I start the import process it hangs at "starting library import”.  I noticed that if I create the Network File Storage to the QNAP movie server directory and then scan the folder under the Media tab it will populate with all of the movies. The thing that is strange is that once I configure the Plex driver and point it to the Network File Storage and press import plex library from within the Plex driver it will delete all of the movies from the C4 media.

When I go into the Plex Server on the QNAP the media folder is the following.  Plex works with all of the TVs and Apple devices.

/share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia/Movie Server 

Within composer I added a new Network File Storage driver with the location.  This seems to be correct since C4 can import the movies natively without the Plex driver.

\\HOME-NAS\Multimedia\Movie Server 

I then added the Plex Media Server Driver and selected the Network File Storage Driver that I just created. The Folder location is what I'm struggling with. I've tried the following options. 

/share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia/Movie Server
\\192.168.128.210\Share\MD0_DATA\Multimedia\Movie Server
\\192.168.128.210\Multimedia\Movie Server 
\\HOME-NAS\Multimedia\Movie Server

None of these options seem to work. Thanks in advance for all the help with this issue.

Cliff

The Plex media server driver is designed to utilise Plex's database for non Plex clients (eg dune or popbox).

looks like you want to integrate Plex clients. As such you should be using our Plex Full driver.

note that we do not recommend Apple TV's as we cannot launch the Plex app.  If you want a budget client then our recommendation is the roku as you can launch other apps as well via Control4's navigator.  Eg Netflix and Hulu

Alan - thank you for the reply.  The customer is running the Plex server on the QNAP for their Samsung TVs and Apple devices and that works great.  The customer would like to leverage the Plex Server for their theater room.  The native C4 movie management system is pretty weak so we were trying to leverage the Plex media server driver on the controller.  I thought that if we used the Chowmain Plex driver then the customer would be able to go into My Movies and it would pull the information from the Plex server.  The QNAP has a built in media player and it has a direct HDMI connection into the AV receiver.  The customer has been a Plex Pass customer for a long while so they don't need the Plex clients integrated.  Thanks - Cliff

7 hours ago, cpotts said:

Alan - thank you for the reply.  The customer is running the Plex server on the QNAP for their Samsung TVs and Apple devices and that works great.  The customer would like to leverage the Plex Server for their theater room.  The native C4 movie management system is pretty weak so we were trying to leverage the Plex media server driver on the controller.  I thought that if we used the Chowmain Plex driver then the customer would be able to go into My Movies and it would pull the information from the Plex server.  The QNAP has a built in media player and it has a direct HDMI connection into the AV receiver.  The customer has been a Plex Pass customer for a long while so they don't need the Plex clients integrated.  Thanks - Cliff

QNAP has Plex Home Theater built into it (and kodi).  If you are going to use it then please use our Plex Full driver.  No need for Plex Media Player.

if you use kodi then please use our kodi driver.

Archived