C4 Forums | Control4

Newbe asking about sonos "mesh" compatibility

Hi

I am looking at purchasing a Control4 : starting with home cinema control. I'm concerned that there may be conflicts with my sonos wifi mesh network and my apple wifi network. I had some initial problems with sonos<>apple wifi conflicts until I put them on different channels. If I purchase a Control4 system, can I be guaranteed zigbee won't cause problems with my sonosnet mesh wireless signals. I'd appreciate both technical answers (frequencies/wireless protocols etc) as well as some practical experiences from anyone who uses such a set up. Regards....:)

Most homes that we install the control4 product in have a wifi network whether it is apple or another. Though they both run on 2.4ghz band the frequency that Zigbee releases is very low in comparison with wifi. It is also possible to change the channel in which Zigbee operates on.

Here is some technical details regarding Zigbee http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZigBee one that you may be interested in is the 'Zigbee and Wireless Frequency Coexistence'

Unfortunately couldn't comment on sonos though I would imagine the same principal applies. Most of customers use the music streaming that Control4 offers so don't have a need for Sonos as well.

Thanks heaps for technical link!

The fact that such a white paper was released is of slight concern. I hope there are Control4 users out there that can add some practical experience> I actually want to also use Control4 for lighting, thermostat, IP cameras and remote access (as well as Home cinema) I'm real happy with sonos and with 7 zones have already invested considerable time and money...At least I am familiar with how a mesh network works!

The icing on the cake for me would be a sonos GUI within the Control4 GUI..but hey I understand they are competing technologies so I can't blame Control4!

What has really impressed me about this company is how they have announced support for the iphone. This will be a savour for me, as there is a Sonos iphone app as well (but Sonos didn't develop or encouraged it...they refused. It was a Third party) It's through the iphone that all this technology and wireless control will come together IHMO

As a matter of interest I think Sonos was worried about release of an iphone app because of competition for their handheld controllers. But what I have found is you can't have enough controllers! The more the better. The iphone complements the others. I'm real glad Control4 has realised this...congrats to them for their foresight. This alone has attracted me to Control4 and how I have arrived to being close to trying out their system.

The default Zigbee Channel on Control4 equipment is outside of the range of Wi-Fi, although still in the allocated 2.4 GHz spectrum.

Things that would kill a Wi-Fi signal would also kill a Zigbee signal (typically 2.4 GHz phones, baby monitors, wireless cameras, etc.), but the Zigbee signals should not disrupt Wi-Fi signals.

Should not be an issue.

RyanE

Archived