C4 Forums | Control4

RS-232 testing

Intellisol

Hi .... Has anyone got any good tips for testing RS-232 cables and drivers. Created the cable as usual using Cat6 with DB9 connectors.

Created a test driver against the plasma just to make sure the cable worked ... no it didn't work. Have now purchased pre-made cables for testing purposes and still couldn't make the plasma respond. So it begs the question is the code correct that I'm using ("ka 1 1\r" checked against a number of sources and seems to be fine) has director acknowledged the driver (refreshed navigators and even rebooted the controller). Connections are done RS-232 to serial 1 on controller.

So what I'm looking for is if anyone knows the best way to break this down like you would with IR. e.g. 1) Does the bug blink = cable fine 2) building driver, able to test IR codes as you go along.

As usual thanks in advance

Andrew

Been giving the serial terminal a test this weekend though have had to buy a usb to serial and it still dosn'y seem to work.

Now wondering if it could be the Plasma Serial port, or the cable of the USB - serial connection .... this is now getting frustrating !!

This is the wrong code ? according to a number of docs on the internet it doesn't seem to be also a driver that you have built for an LG screen states the same code.

Something else I noticed was that in your doc it shows the CTS and DSR pins highlighted though when connected to the screen it gives me DCD and DSR

Thanks for your help on this, I refuse to give up until I get to the bottom of the problem !!

Archived