C4 Forums | Control4

Connections info

fdastoor

I think what he means is what you see when you click on the "Connections" tab that only shows up under Composer Pro, not Composer HE. My dealer showed me how he did the connections to set up my lights but when I went to change something later I was confused as this tab is not available in HE.

Why isn't this available in HE? I can see the argument about not wanting users to be able to add hardware but why aren't you able to connect your hardware together? In terms of light switches you can do all of this in the Programming area so what's the difference.

The main reason is that if end users have the connections page, and they remove *one* connection, they don't get an on-screen display, and they then call their dealer.

Or, they remove one connection, and there's NO digital audio throughout the entire house, or they change one connection, and the wrong security panel shows up on their Navigators, etc.

Physical connections are one thing the dealer sets up, and the bindings that show up under the Connections tab in most cases mirror the physical setup of the system. The example you're talking about is somewhat of an exception to that rule, in that binding a 2-button keypad to a light is more like programming than setup. Most other bindings are more like 'setup'.

RyanE

Once a customer is out of the installers warranty and they screw their system up by changing a connection, then that is customers fault and should be a billable service call from their installer. When I had my system installed 16 months ago I was offered composer pro and turned it down because of this reason, if something was not right, it was no fault of mine.

just my 2 cents.

What I mean is a simple write up that tells me what is connected to what. Which HTC 300 goes to which rooms display. How does the audio and video signals route from receiver. What input is the CD, DVD or SAT devices connected to. If there are switches [i have some] what goes into what switch and into what input and where do the outputs go [which room] etc.

This is for simple troubleshooting on weekends or evenings or holidays so I do not like to inconvenience my dealer. I can check for loose connections. I can as a last measure know which HTC 300 or 500 to reboot.

Also as last resort if the Control4 software crashes for whatever reason - I can manually turn on the receivers and DVD and Sat receivers and switch to the appropriate input manually and turn on the appropriate amps and switches.

Surely for those of us who want to and can do this it saves the dealer from desperate calls at a time when they too need to relax and and have a good time like late evenings and nights and holidays and weekends.

There will always be customers who are totally dependant on the dealer and I guess that is OK too.

If the HE software cannot give me what I want then I am hoping that the PRO software can do at least some of what I need. I would be glad to pay for the printout and the service.

Or I will just have to sit and trace every connection manualy and label each cable and make a written report for myself.

I love Control4 as it seems I will be able to do a lot more as I educate myself. The dealers and the more experienced users have been very helpful to me.

So I am not complaining - just wishing for what I think in some instances can be helpful.

If end users -including Myself and DIY selfers pull cables or change connections and make a mess they should expect to pay for correction of their mistakes AND expect delays and downtime of their systems as dealers are not expected to be at teir service 24/7.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived