C4 Forums | Control4

Video Capable on HC-500

stevemcd

At this time, C4 is not able to store/distribute video like it can .mp3 files.

At CEDIA this year, a proof of concept device was shown that could do such a thing, but no further details were given.

Right now, you can purchase a third party product that can/will integrate with control4 and give you 777es changer-like control - the Zatabit and the Netgear HD product. Look for their threads here.

With the 1.7 release there will be a driver for the EVA8000 for easy integration. Media will be scanned and cover art with info shown from the EVA800(netgear piece) with HDD.

One of the struggles I read with the EVA8000 is the browsing of vob file structures. People say this can be solved by converting to a single iso file. The 1.7 integration sounds interesting as it would greatly enhance the interface. I am assuming it can then point the coverart to the iso totally eliminating the netgear clumsy interface. Does anyone have experience with this?

The hard drive space on the HC-500 was designed for storing digital audio. There is nothing that keeps you from storing whatever you wish on the hard drive of the HC-500. They're just files, after all.

I haven't personally tried it and don't know the exact specs, but depending on what video you're planning on streaming from the HC-500, it may be better to use a separate NAS drive for the video. i.e. if you're streaming a large high-def video to a player device, the HC-500 may not be able to keep up, as it has a 100M ethernet interface.

It also depends on what else the HC-500 is being asked to do (master controller, HD Navigator interface, etc. all take additional CPU cycles).

RyanE

I'd take a stab in the dark and say it probably won't perform as well as you hope...

If you transfer a file over the network to an HC-500 vs. to a Windows PC - the Windows PC always transfers faster. Not sure the reason, I'd GUESS / SPECULATE that it has to do with the SAMBA and translations etc... but I've always noticed it transfers slower - and that might be an impact in performance when trying to stream a video device...

Then again, as Ryan knows, I've been wrong before... :)

With the 1.7 release there will be a driver for the EVA8000 for easy integration. Media will be scanned and cover art with info shown from the EVA800(netgear piece) with HDD.

One of the struggles I read with the EVA8000 is the browsing of vob file structures. People say this can be solved by converting to a single iso file. The 1.7 integration sounds interesting as it would greatly enhance the interface. I am assuming it can then point the coverart to the iso totally eliminating the netgear clumsy interface. Does anyone have experience with this?

I have said in another thread somewhere, I have one and havent taken the time to try it yet. Was trying to learn the language that was needed to write the driver for it(and still am).

But from what the training said, the Control4 interface will scan and populate the video files mounted to the EVA just like the 777es. The EVA will need a firmware update though which hasnt been released yet to the public for it to properly communicate with 1.7.

So yes it should skip the EVA interface and go right to your movie selection.

Archived