C4 Forums | Control4

Buzzing Lights

I have four can lights in my loft, and I put them on a C4 dimmer. Anytime I have the lights set anywhere between 20% and 90% they buzz. They are the loudest at around 20%-50%. The buzzing is not coming from the switch either, definately the lights.

Anybody have any ideas what I can do to elimate this buzzing so I can enjoy my dimmer?

Can lights tend to buzz because the filaments of the bulbs are quite thin and long and spread out across the support structure more than regular bulbs.

Different brands of lights (and different technologies) may have better or different support of the filament and will buzz more ore less. Sometimes 'rough service' bulbs, and/or a different brand bulbs will buzz less.

I've also heard some of the halogen replacement lights buzz less, as they have the filament in a smaller surface area than a standard bulb.

Unfortunately, it can be some trial and error to eliminate the buzz.

RyanE

I thought about buying some of those lights with the twisted, swirly, almost flourescent looking bulbs inside a traditionally shaped BR65 (I think that is what they are called) bulb. The problem is they are like $8 each, and I would be pissed if I bought them and it still buzzed.

Oh well, I shouldn't be such a tight wad and just pop for the better lights.

I thought about buying some of those lights with the twisted, swirly, almost flourescent looking bulbs inside a traditionally shaped BR65 (I think that is what they are called) bulb. The problem is they are like $8 each, and I would be pissed if I bought them and it still buzzed.

Oh well, I shouldn't be such a tight wad and just pop for the better lights.

FYI You cannot dim those lights as they Are Flourescent..

I thought about buying some of those lights with the twisted' date=' swirly, almost flourescent looking bulbs inside a traditionally shaped BR65 (I think that is what they are called) bulb. The problem is they are like $8 each, and I would be pissed if I bought them and it still buzzed.

Oh well, I shouldn't be such a tight wad and just pop for the better lights.[/quote']

FYI You cannot dim those lights as they Are Flourescent..

oh really?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5623308&sourceid=1500000000000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5623308

http://www.dimmablecfls.com/

Plus the dimmable cfl's won't dim down past 25% ish (after that it's on or off). They take longer to turn on as well. Just my 2 cents. :)

they 'turn on' instantly. they take some time to 'warm up' to full output however

Archived