C4 Forums | Control4

HC1000 crashes while copying files

Hi

I just run into a problem while Backing up my audio files.

For backup I wanted to copy all my audio from HC1000 to a NAS on my network.

Therefore I mounted \\HC1000\audio as a network drive and copied all its contents to the nas location.

But during the process I got a message from windows stating that it cannot reach the source anymore - strange!?

From that point Hc1000 did not respond to ping, Keypads and remotes where disconnected.

Only restarting the HC1000 helped, but on the second attempt encountered the same problem (second ime I run logging, but it didnt show any related messages).

So it is reproduceable but the time until it happens varies.

Normal operation without heavy network or disk load everything is fine.

System:

HC300 as slave

HC1000 as Master

Softare: 1.7.290

ideas everybody?

best regards

Stephan

Are you just copying using the Windows GUI? (Assuming Windows here)

I haven't had an issue with my HC-1000, but I've been copying MP3s slowly and updating the MP3 tags as I go. I have experienced a similar issue when copying files to a NAS at a client site. I ended up using a free Windows utility called robocopy, which allows you to control the network bandwidth utilized during the file copy by enabling a small pause between packets.

Rob

Hi

Yes I am using Windows and the amount of data is 72GB. But I never ever encountered any such problem during copying from disc to disc or over network to a nas before (copied 470GB at one time to a nas).

When the HC1000 crashes because of a high network load theres gotta be something wrong with the system - we are only talking about 100mbit connectin outputting about 8 MB/s, any system schould be able to handle this....

• 8 months later...

Got a client with the same problem, 120gb of music and trying to back it off to a drive every week, set it up last week using scheduler and it crashed the HC1000. Looking at Robocopy now, as I managed to back up the lot to a NAS using FTP following a crashed hc1000, as the customer lost it when it crashed.

Thanks for the direction to look at with robocopy

Archived