C4 Forums | Control4

Software Updates

I am trying to find out what most dealer's practice is for updating software. I purchased a HC-300 in September. It was installed in late November. I am considering having my software upgraded so I can use my iPhone. My dealer is charging $200.00 to upgrade my software. Is there a time period (6 months) were software is upgraded for free?

I am trying to find out what most dealer's practice is for updating software. I purchased a HC-300 in September. It was installed in late November. I am considering having my software upgraded so I can use my iPhone. My dealer is charging $200.00 to upgrade my software. Is there a time period (6 months) were software is upgraded for free?

To be quite honest there is no timeframe for an upgrade. I installed a few projects within that time frame and still updated my customers. This is a dealers choice.

What version are you running now? 1.3?

What are they charging for? What are you actually receiving?

My dealer charges me the hours on the job for the software upgrade. I have a good dealer and am feel it is fair to charge for the techs time. I am running 1.6...(something) and don't plan on updating until I need to. I actually am having them install a new TV (my 6th on the system) in the office on Monday and I will be surprised if they don't upgrade all my software at the same time even though I did not request this. I know the few techs who come out to my house pretty well (that always helps) - and I always seem to be buying/upgrading something - which again helps with the overall relationship and the fact they know they have a long-term customer.

I am running 1.7.1.290 My dealer sent me a email saying 1.7V2 is available and then we discussed the cost mentioned above

As of about two weeks ago that was the latest version. I haven't heard of anything newer. I'm sure some dealers can chime in here with better info.

I am running 1.7.1.290 My dealer sent me a email saying 1.7V2 is available and then we discussed the cost mentioned above

That is the latest version.

Not quite sure what they are referring to.

1 HC-300, Samsung Plasma, Samsung Blu-Ray Player, Comcast DVR, Denon Receiver and 5 dimmers. One zone my Family room.

While it's not my place to say how much a dealer should or should not charge I would say this is a bit steep.

Yup, steep indeed. We just charge our hourly rate (80/ hr). And for updates we will go out and start the update process, then go off the clock and take lunch or work on something else while the updates take place. Usually comes out at a flat $80. (hard to justify 80/ hr to stand around and wait)

Oh and I'm not aware of a 1.7.1 V2 either. Not to mention that a small system like yours wouldn't even see the benefit of anything over 1.7.0.

1 HC-300, Samsung Plasma, Samsung Blu-Ray Player, Comcast DVR, Denon Receiver and 5 dimmers. One zone my Family room.

Why are you getting an update?? :rolleyes: You already stated you have 1.7.1.290.. There is no other update!!!

I'm all for making $$ we all have to pay the bills. If you are not happy with your dealer, find another.

Good Luck

My dealer updates my system for free if I'm having other work done since they are already here. I guess that's the nice part about doing my project in phases. However, once the system is "complete" upgrades will be charged for as a service call. One might think that if you're purchasing other product ad it requires the update they would update the system for a minimal charge.

The whole purpose of this update is to install the iphone app. I had some other problems so they had their installer log into my system to do the correction. He must of done the update at that point. Below is the email that was sent to me. Keep in mind they are already coming out to fix my install that has never been right since day one.

Concerning the I-Phone programming, its $250.00 (200 for the software upgrade $50 for the add on) I was able to convince Brett to charge the minimum $150.00 trip charge instead to keep you in our good graces. Give me a call when you can and I will have Michael bring it to your house on the 29th.

The whole purpose of this update is to install the iphone app. I had some other problems so they had their installer log into my system to do the correction. He must of done the update at that point. Below is the email that was sent to me. Keep in mind they are already coming out to fix my install that has never been right since day one.

Concerning the I-Phone programming, its $250.00 (200 for the software upgrade $50 for the add on) I was able to convince Brett to charge the minimum $150.00 trip charge instead to keep you in our good graces. Give me a call when you can and I will have Michael bring it to your house on the 29th.

Breakdown.. You stated you already had 1.7.1.290.. No Update needed. iPhone App is $299.00

You are getting the app for less cost and activated for the $250.00

Congratulations and Thank Your Dealer.

Archived